Chapter 10

Their things were scattered everywhere. Savannah's goods were out from her bag into the floor. Her clothes laying around. Mr. Hernandez's bag she believe was in his car, but he had gotten a few of his necessities into their staying room as well.

Mr. Hernandez looked livid as he gazed at the hobo man with hostile and anger, disgust clear on his face.

"My wallet is gone," he muttered angrily under his breath after he rummaged through the table beside the bed, tossing everything harshly.

The hobo man was curently sleeping, looked peaceful as he was unaware of the things happened around him. The cat was too, curled herself around him.

Probably from the sound of glass-made decoration shattered in pieces on the floor, slowly the hobo man opened his eyes. He rubbed his eyes as he struggled to sit up.

He looked confused, like he couldn't really process what just happened, his eyes hazy as he gazed at around him.

Mr. Hernandez approach him, grabbing his collar harshly. He asked him sharply with a glare. "What the hell have you done to my wallet?"

"I helped you, and this is how you repay me?" He shouted, throwing him on the bed rather hard that the hobo man's elbow hit the edge of bed. It was quite harsh, probably going to be a bruise tomorrow.

Savannah watched everything in confusion and worry. She kept on biting her lower lip anxiously. Until, she couldn't hold it anymore as she watched Mr. Hernandez was about to grab his collar again.

"Stop it!" She yelled.

In seconds, Savannah was in front of Mr. Hernandez. She gazed at his angry face as it slowly turned into a sneer, "Are you defending this thief now?"

"Why?" He spat. "He was only a garbage we unintentionally picked up from the street!"

Savannah shook her head. "You couldn't think straight, Mr. Hernandez. Think about this matter logically and seek for the truth, don't judge people on the first sight."

The hobo man's expression had turned into one of worry now, a slight fear etched into his face as he looked at the furious expression that Mr. Hernandez displayed. He couldn't really process what he had done to make him that angry, he couldn't really think straight. He gulped slowly.

"Oh, and yes, keep defending him." He mocked her cockily. A harsh glare was directed at her.

Savannah almost flinched at how harsh his glare was, so condescending and full of fury, like he just wanted to crush anyone who dared to stand in his way. Savannah sighed before she said with a determination.

"You lost your wallet, right Mr. Hernandez? Just tell me the number of money you lost, I will give the money back to you."

Mr. Hernandez got even more angry at that, he grabbed his phone from the table beside the bed and exited the room, slamming the door harshly that it rattled a bit on the way out.

Savannah and the hobo man flinched. Then, she just sighed. Witnessing an angry boss was really scary. But, he was really being a jerk right now.

On his way out, Savannah had caught him muttering something quite incoherently about something important inside that wallet that wasn't money.

The hobo man looked guilty now as he rubbed his eyes more to adjust to the situation in the room. His eyes widened a bit as he took in everything he saw. Savannah noticed this. He looked shocked upon this room condition.

She didn't know the truth, but she was sure that this stranger didn't do anything. She wouldn't judge and accuse him until he was proven wrong. That what people often do nowadays, judging others without seeking the truth, or judging them from their outer appearance.

The hobo man looked guilty. He didn't even dare to look up to her. Savannah smiled sadly.

"This is going to be alright, believe me," Savannah spoke softly. The words her late mother often spoke to her, and she often believed her.

Savannah saw a pen on the floor and snatched it, then she rummaged her bag for a note. She found the note laying on ghe floor and grabbed it.

Savannah immediately sat beside him on the bed, putting the those things for him to take. "I know that you may have problem with your voice. But at least, could you answer a few of my question through writing?"

The hobo man was still nervous, afraid that Savannah would act like Mr. Hernandez did before. He picked up the note and pen carefull and nodded.

Savannah smiled brightly at that. "I didn't catch your name, so, what's your name, Sir? I am Savannah Easton. You can call me Savannah."

The hobo man wrote down the note slowly. Savannah waited with patience as he took his time. Probably, it had been a long time since he last wrote something down, judged by the quiver of his hand.

After he had done, he handed it to Savannah with a bit of hesitancy. Savannah took the note and read the words.

Charlie. No last name.

Savannah smiled, then tested his name. "Charlie."

He nodded at her. Savannah handed the note back to him and began to ask her second question. "How did you get in to our car?"

As Charlie ponder over that one question, his doubt and worry grew bigger. He just swallow the queasy feeling in his stomatch and scribbled down his answer. This time, he took longer than before.

He handed the note back to Savannah, then studied her expression anxiously. Savannah began to read the longer paragraph.

Near the restaurant ... when you were sleeping. Hiding behind your seat.

Savannah asked again, "And why did you get in our car?"

Getting chased by some angry drunk guys. They wanted money from me.

Savannah read the note sadly. She wasn't the one who would usually reassure people and made them feel better with words. She was quite stiff for a woman. Though, now she really want Charlie to feel better. Living on the streets wasn't pleasant.

"Now, just pack our things and get ready alright? We would go back soon. Don't worry about Mr. Hernandez. I will take care of him," Savannah said.

Savannah touched the sleeping cat softly. It didn't move. Savannah frowned at that. The cat was quite wild and hyperactive. There was something odd in this.