Chapter 47

Savannah didn't want to talk to Lucas, so she avoided him.

She had this vague, uncertain subconscious since she had gone back here. Seeing him and that woman who claimed to be Sofia Dawson, bringing a somewhat uncomfortable feeling.

It was frustrating, yet she didn't understand why. No, it wasn't jealousy.

She didn't like Lucas that way. The two's relationship was what should be professional between work partners.

This frustration was akin to an itch that she couldn't scratch, something she couldn't put her finger on. Yet, she had the feeling that it existed.

What is this?

A blurry, vague memory surfaced amidst the chaotic mind. Savannah didn't remember exactly, but she had an inkling that it was somehow related to Lucas. She found his face a little familiar.

She had brushed it off as the face of a hateful someone who had arrogantly gone against his parents' wishes. The painful memory she had thrown far into the back of her head.

She had a burning fever that day, accompanied by a terrible nightmare. The suffocating feeling as if someone was strangling her neck plagued her the entire night.

In that dream, she drowned. She couldn't swim back to the surface of the water. Her little arms were fragile, powerless.

Until, she was bestowed by another spark of light. Water was horrifying for Savannah. She somehow always imagined herself, in the vast ocean where no human lived. She drowned alone.

The figures of two adults came and offered her a safe haven. Unbeknownst to her, it was just another water, shallow one. But the terrifying part was that, if she did something wrong, those unknown vines would latch onto her, snaking around her body and drag her deeper into this trench she had once thought of as shallow water.

Savannah woke up, gasping, coughing for breath. That dream was rather strange that she didn't know what it signified.

She was thirsty. The water on the glass on top of the table beside her bed had been empty some time ago. She had no choice but to go to the kitchen and fetch the water herself.

"Amara, what are you doing here?" Her voice was slightly hoarse. Nevertheless, her gaze was gentle.

The little girl perked up her head. She took a bottle from the kitchen counter and handed it to Savannah.

"Thank you," Savannah muttered softly. She wanted to rub the girl's head but she refrained from doing so. Her body was sweaty that it made her felt uncomfortable. Perhaps, she should take a bath now that her fever had gone down.

"What are you looking at?" Savannah asked again after she gulped the water down.

"Mama's photos..." Amara shyly answered. She wanted to lift the photo album, however, the little arms were unable to bear such a heavy thing.

Savannah was startled. Her photos? She hadn't thought that Grandma would try to entertain Amara this way, by showing her Savannah's photos.

"Let look through it together." Savannah coughed lightly, leading the little girl to the dining table.

Amara nodded as she dragged the album to the other side of the dining table. There were four seats there.

"I have seen this photo album with Rian," Amara mumbled softly, reminding her mother. Rian was Adrian's nickname from Amara.

"Adrian came here?" Savannah blinked. If Adrian, that mischievous little guy was here, then the older one...

Savannah was startled as she thought of another possibility. She cautiously asked her daughter. "Did you see the photos with Adrian only?"

Amara lifted her head, looking at Savannah with a serious face in pondering. A moment later, she nodded. Savannah heaved a sigh of relief. No matter what, it was her private photos that shouldn't be shown that easily to outsiders.

"There's one photo missing." Amara began. "Rian remembered that the photo had fallen to the floor. When I go back to look for it, Uncle Lucas was there. Did he take it...?"

Amara's face was slightly indignant as she muttered accusingly. Her lips formed a pout, making her cheeks look chubby.

Savannah's heart lurched down at Amara's words. That man took her photos? She bit her nail. Confusion swirling in her head. What for? Did he know something?

Knowing Amara's shy nature, it would be unlikely for her to ask for the photo back from Lucas. If that man really took it... Savannah didn't know what she should do.

"Grandma said that she had prepared the hot water," Amara muttered, breaking Savannah's thought.

"Oh," Savannah nodded at her.

She should take a bath first and think about it later.

However, as soon as Savannah stepped into the bathtub and enjoyed the warm water, her mind couldn't help but wonder again.

She was reminded of that bracelet she found when she was forced to accompany Lucas on the business trip. Lucas seemed to treasure that thing a lot.

The bracelet somehow gave her a faint familiar feeling. She couldn't remember, it was like a subconscious. Did she forget a certain memory?

The name Dawson brought about a hint of bitterness inside her, strangely. She had unconsciously avoided that girl, Sofia Dawson.

The end of Savannah's pondering concluded in a confusion. Whenever she tried to remember, she felt a pounding headache. But the good point was that she managed to remember the faint pieces of memory.

It was a boy in blonde, oddly his look was a bit similar to Lucas somehow.

As Savannah stepped out of the bathtub, she noticed her phone light up, signaling a message. Clutching the towel to cover her half upper naked body, Savannah went to pick it up.

She was startled to find that the message was from an unknown number. She frowned. The writing inside contained an apology that she didn't understand. Perhaps, the sender had sent it to the wrong person.

Savannah chose to ignore the message.

However, a few days later, Savannah froze when she received another message. It was from Lucas. Receiving a message from Lucas was common as they often talked about a business matter.

However, this one was completely unrelated to work at all. He had asked to meet her to talk about a personal matter. What could it be?

There are a few chapters left for this story.

I don't know but I think I might take this story down along with the completed 'The Girl Who Refuses an Alpha' once it's finished.