Chapter 36

For the next few days, Lucas didn't go to check up the Dawson family by himself. He simply asked someone to pay attention to them.

It had been a few days and he finally decided to take a look at them by himself. If possible, he also wanted to talk to them to sort out the problem between them. He wanted to know what happened to them that Auntie Ellia refused to acknowledge him.

This time, Lucas was standing in front of the same room again. He didn't rashly knocking the door and got in. Instead, he observe the situation first.

Inside the room, there were three people. The little boy called Juwen, Stephen Dawson, and Ellia Dawson. The little boy seemed had his eyes shut tightly, seemingly unconsious.

The familiar middle-aged was stroking his hair worriedly, glancing at her husband once a while. There was a conflicted expression on her face, as if something was bothering her.

The husband sat on the chair nearby. He was seemingly pondering about something. After a while, he decided to speak with a hint of helplessness. "I have already asked some of my friends to lend me the money, but it's still not enough."

He threw a glance at the boy who was lying unmoving on the bed. Ellia didn't speak. She only bit her lip that it felt painful, a helpless look appeared on her face.

After some look of hesitation, she finally decided to speak. "Have you contacted our daughter?"

Lucas' body jolted slightly at the mention of the word daughter. Surely they were talking about the person that was on his mind right now, right?

"She is also in a difficult situation," Stephen muttered. "She is still looking for a job. After all, the job she took last time was only served as a part time job. Now that she had graduate from university, she is looking for a better one of course."

"When will she come back?" Lucas heard Ellia asked again. He found himself also eager to heard the answer.

"Around a week, she may look for a job in the company around here. Her business degree isn't that bad." Stephen said.

"Now, about Juwen..." The middle-aged woman seemed to hesitate. There were anxiety mixed with sadness in her face.

Her husband sighed, as if not knowing how to answer to his wife's words. He looked at the child laying on the bed and made a firm resolution. "I will try to search for some other money. Juwen should get his surgery done in a week."

Lucas observed the conversation between the two. A hesitation appeared on his face, as if he was not so sure about something. He looked at Auntie Ellia and found that she still had the same conflicted expression as before. While he looked at Uncle Stephen, Lucas frowned slightly.

Lucas threw one last glance at them and intended to leave. He was about to take another step forward when suddenly the door was opened in almost abrupt manner.

A middled-aged woman appeared fro within the door. As she looked up, an astonished expression covered her face.

Lucas glanced at the woman and didn't speak, acting as if it was all a mere coincidence that he happened to pass by her hospital room. The woman was also silent, looking at Lucas with a shocked look.

She was about to get back inside the room once again when a gruff voice suddenly sounded from inside. "Didn't you say you wanted to buy some water? What happened?"

Ellia Dawson didn't answer, making her husband find that probably something was wrong. With a hint of impatience, he got up from his seat and appeared beside his wife.

Stephen put on a surprised look at the sight of young man in front of him. He asked him. "Young man, do you get lost again this time?"

As usual, Lucas covered his expression with a neutral one. Then, with a casual tone, he said to him. "No, Sir. To reach the hospital room of my relative, I just happened to pass by this room again."

Stephen had a strange expression, as if he didn't believe what the young man in front of him was saying. Nonetheless, he didn't push the matter further.

Lucas glanced at Auntie Ellia to find that the woman was also looking at her, as she met his gaze, she quickly retracted her gaze away. She was about to go back inside when Lucas' sudden voice made her stiffened.

"Auntie Ellia, I just realized that it's you." Lucas put on a convincing look that making people believe he had just realized who she was. He continued, "I almost didn't recognize you just now."

The middle-aged man's expression swiftly turned stern, he was gicing Lucas a hard look. "Who are you?"

Lucas gave the man a polite smile while explained. "I am not sure if you recognize me, Uncle Stephen. But, I am Lucas Hernandez, the childhood friend of Sofia."

Lucas threw a glance at the middle-aged woman to see her expression. She had her gaze lowered, unwilling to meet his penetrating ad scrunitizing gaze.

He just wanted to prove something. If they really didn't remember and refused to acknowledge him, then so be it. He was going to meet the so called daughter by himself then, to prove whether his guess was right or not.

Stephen had a scrutinizing look towards the man in front of him, watching his face quietly as if trying to remember something. Lucas just stayed silent the whole time, offering no further explanation.

Amidst the silence, the middle-aged man suddenly put on a baffled look on his face. He looked at Lucas' face more closely. "You are..."

By the way, If you like horror thriller story, you can check out my new book. It's entitled Night Whispers. I hope that you would support me in writing it. Thank you!