We're Burying You Alive

I sat on the boys' locker room bench beside Stiles and Scott. Given that I knew everyone on the team, none of the other players had a problem with me being there.

Scott had been in a trance since he came back inside. It was not the trance he was usually in when he was by Allison; something happened to him outside. As I was about to ask Scott what was wrong, Stiles peered his head out from the corner of Scott's locker door. "You apologize to Allison?"

"Yeah."

"So she's giving you a second chance?"

"Yeah."

"Then everything's good?"

"No, something's wrong with him," I narrowed my eyes at Scott, trying to figure it out.

Scott nodded, "Correct."

"Correct? Wh--what's wrong now?" Stiles's face dropped, and he tilted his head to the side.

"Remember the hunters?" Stiles and I both nodded.

Scott looked like he wanted to die. "Her dad is one of them."

"Her dad?" I asked, eyes widening.

"Is one of the hunters."

"Allison's father?" Stiles clarified.

"Shot me. With a crossbow."

"Allison's---"

"YES. HER FATHER!" Scott screamed, cutting Stiles off. 

I stood quickly, grabbing Scott's arms. "Okay, Scott, you need to calm down before you cause a whole scene. Just breathe."

Scott deeply breathed, "Oh my God, what will I do?" He whispered under his breath.

"Okay, okay--did he recognize you?" Stiles asked.

"Does she know about him?" I asked. 

"I--I don't know."

"All right, Taylor and I will figure it out." Stiles looked at me for support, and I nodded. "Just--just concentrate on practice. On lacrosse."

Scott nodded, "Lacrosse."

***

I sat in the bleachers as the boys practiced. For the fifth time this week, I tried to call my mom and dad, but the call went to voicemail as usual. I shoved my phone into my backpack and headed inside, ignoring Stiles's calling my name.

Why couldn't they ever answer my calls? I called five times this week, and not once did either of them pick up. I got it—okay, they're busy, they had jobs, but I was their daughter; they couldn't shut me out, forget me.

I knew I shouldn't be as mad as I was about this, but my life had spiraled out of control since they left. And I blamed them. I blamed them for that night—the night my life changed, the night I completely lost myself.

My heart rate skyrocketed just thinking about that night. My body started to go into a fight-or-flight response; my heart pounded in my chest, and I couldn't breathe. I gripped my chest, sliding down the wall. I quickly closed my eyes and started counting to 10.

Five minutes passed, and I finally calmed down. I slowly stood, collecting myself before I headed back outside. Before I reached the door, I heard a crash from inside the boys' locker room. I stopped walking, backtracked, and opened the locker room door.

I opened the door and found Stiles ripping the fire extinguisher off the wall, blasting it at Scott.

"Stiles?" Slowly, Stiles looked to see Scott back to normal.