Chemistry Is Fun

PS: I didn't realize this until I read through the chapter, but Taylor and Stiles basically flirt with each other this whole chapter...so I hope you enjoy!

This morning, Stiles dropped me off at my house on the way to school. I needed to take care of some things since I hadn't been there in a long time—two to three weeks, maybe? Stiles insisted he stay with me, but I told him I didn't want him to be late for school. Somehow, I got him out the door; I might have pushed him and his jeep down the driveway with my magic, but it worked.

I cleaned up some things at my house and drove my car to the school, parking it in the lot. As I made my way to the front doors, a lady on the other side opened one door. I stopped and stepped to the side to avoid getting in her way. She stopped dead in her tracks when she saw me staring down at me.

I gave her a small courtesy smile, trying to get around her to meet Stiles and Scott in the locker room–I was already ten minutes late. She glared at me before moving out of the way and walking down the sidewalk. As I turned back around, about to walk into the building, she said, "Why you?"

I turned around, shielding my eyes from the sun to see her. She wasn't a student, probably a mom. And I couldn't help but notice how much she looked like–

"Why are you here?"

"I'm sorry?" I took a step forward, letting the door fall closed.

"Why did you get to live?" Her voice was bitter, filled with nothing but anger and sorrow.

I felt my heart skip, "W–what?"

She took a step forward and pointed her finger at me. "Why do you get to live and not my little Addie?"

All the air that filled my lungs suddenly wasn't there anymore as every particle weighed heavy, crushing down in my chest. "W–what are you..." I trailed off, not even able to finish what I was saying, as I felt my heart beating rapidly against my chest, feeling the blood leave my face.

"Why do you get to live, and my Addie had to die?" She took another step forward, and I saw Addie dead on the floor next to her. "Why is her life not as important as yours?"

My chest started to squeeze as the sun shone brighter on me; I felt like I was melting. Why was it so hot all of a sudden? "I don't–" I shook my head, trying to understand what the fuck was going on.

"She died because of them, and they took you too," she yelled, tears brimming her eyes. "Why did they let you live, huh? Why did you get to live and not my Addie?"

I shook my head, a cold sensation running down my cheeks. Was I crying? I couldn't concentrate on what was happening as she kept yelling at me, asking me why I was here and Addie wasn't. 

She should be here I wanted to yell back; you're right; I should be dead, and Addie should've lived. I'm the reason she's dead. Instead, I couldn't get any words out of my mouth.

My throat was so dry that I couldn't breathe, and the heat was so intense it made me dizzy. Why was the sun so bright?

"Addie is dead because they let you live," she yelled, "she's dead because of you!" The last words were like venom on her lips as they slapped me across the face. I felt sick to my stomach as I watched her walk away.

She's dead because of you. I felt sick to my stomach as the images of Addie lying on the floor before me popped into my mind. My heart beat out of my chest when I remembered her taking her last breath. I tried to breathe, take a moment, close my eyes, focus, and breathe. But all I saw was Addie.

I let out a strangled whimper as I turned around, my hand shaking so hard I could barely open the door. I wiped my sleeves, trying to dry my cheeks but couldn't stop crying. I couldn't breathe.