1 Week and 3 Days Later

I heard the low rumble of many voices: men, women, young, old. All I knew was the pain sprouting from my shoulder and the weight of air around me. Bright lights flashed above me, feeling the clicking of the wheels.

I felt hands roaming over me. Something pressed onto my mouth, roughly pushing air into my lungs. I felt needles break through my skin, entering my veins. My mouth was dry, and the taste of blood sat on my tongue. Did I bite my tongue?

I drifted in and out of consciousness as I heard someone giving orders. "Someone page the surgeon." He yelled. "Send someone to check on the others."

Stiles.

Where did he go? Did Matt get to him? Did Jackson? He couldn't be alone, not right now. I needed him. I forced my mouth open.

"Stiles." Did they hear me? I felt like I was screaming.

"Someone put her under and bring her up to surgery," The man ordered.

"Right away," someone responded as I heard a ding sound.

"Stiles," I repeated.

Someone leaned over me, "Shhhh, Taylor, I need you to relax." I saw her bring down a blue-looking mask and place it over my mouth and nose. The air became intoxicating. What was this?

I felt the ground jerk as the room started moving. The walls were dancing, and the faces above me began to stretch. I tried to repeat his name, hoping they would get the hint that I wanted Stiles here, but I couldn't order my thoughts. 

What if Stiles was gone? What if he was hurt? 

I wanted to scream for him. Scream at anyone and ask what was happening. I felt the air fog my brain, making the lights in the room flicker off.

****

(3rd Person POV)

Stiles, Scott, and Melissa arrived shortly after Taylor, stumbling into the hospital lobby.

Melissa did her best to keep Taylor stable while waiting for the ambulance to arrive. Minutes later, after Taylor passed out on the table, the EMT's rushed into the room, carrying her away. He was carrying her away from Stiles.

Stiles didn't like how easily Taylor was taken away from him. How easily she slipped from his grasp. I should've protected her, he thought. The way Matt talked about Taylor all night infuriated him. Nobody was allowed to speak about her like that; Stiles wouldn't allow it. 

But now his best friend could be dead. He would have no idea until hours later if the surgery were successful.

Stiles could lose Taylor, and that thought haunted him.

Melissa hadn't spoken to Scott since she saw him, who he was. Scott was devastated, embarrassed his mom had seen him that way. She shouldn't have been there, Scott thought. She was his mom; it was his job to protect her. 

I should have protected Taylor. Those words rang loudly in Scott's head since they left the station. He watched his mom run through the double doors, instructing the boys to stay in the lobby. Melissa would return soon with news on Taylor, but the best thing for the boys to do was stay put.

Scott watched as Stiles paced back and forth before him.

Stiles couldn't sit still; if he did, he would explode. He didn't want to think about losing Taylor. The thought of not seeing her, hearing her talk, and watching her smile daily drove him insane. How could anyone do it? 

They wouldn't be able to, Stiles thought. Taylor wasn't allowed to die, not now, not ever. They had their whole lives ahead of them. He couldn't lose anyone else.