We'll Be Alright

Song: Fine Line by Harry Styles

--------------------------------------------------------------

(Stiles' POV)

The Next Day

Nine hours, 13 minutes, and 28 seconds.

That's how long Taylor's been in surgery.

Eight hours, 51 minutes, and 45 seconds.

That's how long Scott and I had been sitting in the waiting room.

A little over an hour ago, my dad told me that there was enough evidence--with the building, the lab, the gun, and the motive--to pin everything on Tate, Alma, and Joey. The only thing was, they couldn't be arrested because they were dead. Taylor had killed them.

Allison, Isaac, Lydia, and Derek were all still at the station, giving statements and seeing if they could get any information. Scott and I had begged to give our statements first so we could rush over here and wait for Taylor to make it out of surgery.

Isaac had messaged us about 15 minutes ago to tell us that the coroner's report came back on Tate, Alma, and Joey. We were worried that since Taylor had used her powers to kill them, it would show on the report. Thankfully, with some miracle, it was something else. Tate died from a Traumatic Brain Injury-induced seizure. Reports indicated that he hit the back of his head hard, which caused effects to his brain, causing a seizure that resulted in killing him. Alma died from a broken neck. The report showed that she had fallen, head first, from a great height, breaking her neck. Joey died from Rhabdomyolysis, the breakdown of your muscles. They had also found several different kinds of drugs in his system, finding the most used to be cocaine. No surprise there.

The three had been charged with several counts of murder, child abduction, and several counts of breaking and entering; that wasn't even half of it. They would have gotten life if they were still alive.

Now, Scott and I sat in the waiting room. We hadn't spoken a word to each other since we sat down. We were both there, trying to bring Taylor back. On the way here, I kept muttering in the car that she was dead and that I would never see her again. I was in shock. Her blood still coated my hands and shirt, some on my face. "They wouldn't bring her into surgery if she were dead," Scott pointed out.

Before he even parked the car, I flung the door open.

Melissa came and sat with us for a while during the surgery. She explained that it was going well so far; they had a heartbeat and everything. The news relaxed me a little; Taylor was alive. Melissa also said that Taylor had lost a ton of blood, like a lot. She never said it, but I could tell from the look in her eyes. She didn't think Taylor would make it.

At one point, maybe around hour six, Scott and I escorted Melissa into a separate room to tell her what had happened. It took a long time for her to understand that she had been mind-controlled, basically possessed, but sooner or later, she finally understood. Melissa broke down crying at one point when she learned where Taylor was for those two months. Scott had to take her into a different room to calm her down while I returned to the lobby.

9 hours 45 minutes. "Anything yet?" Scott asked as he came back from the bathroom. He held two water bottles he'd gotten from the vending machine, along with two bags of chips. He sat beside me, holding out one water and one bag, "Here."

I shook my head, running my hands over my face as I leaned back in the chair.

I heard Scott sigh, "Come on, Stiles. You need to eat and drink something." I  felt Scott looking at me as he shoved the water and chips farther at me. With a sigh, I took the chips and water from his hands. We sat there eating for a few minutes, but no words passed between us. I knew why. It was awkward between us. Yes, I've cried in front of Scott before, but I've never cried like that in front of him.