Chapter 29: Under the Moon

The Summer Solstice Update has been released as I told my Discord followers. For those interested in voting on what books of mine get updated, the link to the discord is on my information page along with a link to my alt. account on Archiveofourown that has books that haven't been published in Wattpad!

I do not own Percy Jackson or the Vampire Diaries/The Originals

"Come on Nik, mother and father don't have to know," I said softly, moving swiftly and silently to the clearing that the wolves used to change while under the full moon.

"Henrik, there is still time to make it to the caves, this is dangerous," Nik argued, following me frantically, trying to catch up to my fast short strides.

Finally, Nik grasped his hand on my wrist, stopping me exactly where I was as we were close to the changing wolves of our village. "Henrik," Niklaus started, his voice serious, angry, with a hint of desperation, "this is not a joke, there is a reason we hide away the full moons. I do not wish for either of us to get hurt all because you wanted to watch the bloodthirsty monsters that emerged under the full moon.

"Nik," I said softly as the sun slowly started falling under the horizon, the height of the trees starting to make a shadow that enveloped our bodies as we stayed under one of them. "They might change once a month because of nature, but they're not monsters. Just like how we're not monsters for trying to use our mother's magic. I just want to see nature's other son, our sibling."

Nik's face softened, and his grip relaxed. But then a lone howl sounded around them and suddenly everything was too quiet. "Nik?" I asked softly, my heart beating fast as I realized the mistake that I had made in wanting to see nature's other beauty. The dangers that were now creeping upon him and his brother.

Nik shook his head, telling me to keep quiet as he gripped my wrist and dragged me away from the clearing, our footsteps sounded loud to my ears. They almost reminded me of the times my brothers and I played chase in the woods, but this wasn't for fun, this was because I made the stupid mistake that might cost me, my brother. My favorite brother, the one who was beaten too often by our father, the one that was a shame to our mother one day, but in secret her favorite child. But most of all, the one I loved with so much of my body, I wouldn't care if I didn't have a mother or father, because I knew Nik would be here, always and forever.

Pausing at a tree, Nik started urging me to climb, seeing how the branches started just a bit higher, I gripped onto one as I followed Nik's plan. Wolves might be a lot of things, but they weren't tree climbers, getting up high was the only way we were going to survive the night.

Just as I got my own grip on the branch and reached down to help Nik up, I saw glowing golden eyes peering at us from the bushes that surrounded us.

Feeling my throat tighten, I barely hesitated in helping Nik up just as one of the wolves of nature lunged for my brother.

He just scrambled up the tree, both of our breaths uneven and heavy as we stared at the growling wolf that was prowling around the tree, trying to find a way to get us down.

"Leave us alone!" I shouted and pushed my hand toward the wolf, my magic coming to my command and a sea of water from the nearby river rushed at them and pushed the wolf away, causing scratches to appear near his side and just down the left side of his face.

The wolf snarled but stayed away as the water I summoned surrounded the tree with protectiveness. "Nik," I started hesitantly, my lip wobbling as we climbed higher in the tree to safer, but still bulky, branches.