Chapter 24: The Last Dance

Seasons 2 Episode 18: The Last Dance

I laid my head against the desk that currently had my notebook spilled open. The headache was piercing behind my eyes seemed to lighten just slightly as the darkness surrounded my vision from closing my eyes.

The cool surface of the notebook pages also seem to help but also seem to dampen my response as I never noticed Mr. Saltzman first enter the classroom.

Caroline was sitting beside me and behind her was Bonnie and then diagonally across to her was Elena. Ignoring the last two, I heard Caroline shift just slightly and rest her hand on my shoulder in concern.

She had been spending more time at my house as she noticed her mother out of the house more often than not, and needed reassurance after telling Matt the truth, and then compelling him to forget at his insistence.

I tilted my head slightly to acknowledge her but kept my head rested against my notebook and kept my eyes closed, hoping the headache that was left behind from Elijah's 'death' would go away soon.

Somehow it did, and when it did I felt my wolf rear up and wag its tail for some reason. Curious, I looked up and met the eyes of Mr. Saltzman, but they seemed different somehow.

"Hello, class," Mr. Saltzman said arriving just slightly late and barely glanced at the class. "Ahem, what...are we learning today?"

I felt my curiosity spike as I watched his movements, training that has been ingrained into me spotted the small details and shifts of non-Alaric movements. The subtle way his shoulders were more alert, and seemed tense. The way his eyes glanced around the room spotting the entrances, exits, and the windows with just a brief glance.

Instantly, I knew the person in front of me was not the same teacher I normally new, and just sending a small hint of magic to caress the man told me that he was far older than anyone I have ever met. Possibly even mother depending on how long he has been alive.

It seemed that the person in front of me also has some sort of magic surrounding him to alert to any magic as his eyes instantly looked up and glanced at the glance, his smile in place could be considered charming and innocent had I not seen his searching glance.

They rested on the girl who responded to his earlier question, " With the decade dance tonight, we've been covering the sixties all week."

"Right," The teacher said as he set the book he'd been glancing at back down onto the desk. "The sixties."

The man seemed to about to turn around before his gaze landed to my right, connecting the line of sight, I saw he was looking at Elena.

Wondering who exactly was in front of me, and why he seemed so familiar especially to my wolf, I debated on what I should do to gain his attention.

"The, uh, ahem...The sixties. I wish there was something good I could say about the sixties, but...actually, they kind of sucked. Except for the Beatles, of course. They made it bearable. Uh, what else was there? The Cuban Missile Thing, The--we walked on the moon. There was watergate-"

Bingo.

"The Watergate was the seventies, Mr. Saltzman," I interrupted instantly and noticed all eyes on me. Trying not to smirk as the teachers eyes connected with mine and froze, I started talking.

"There was the Doctor Who and Star Trek that were introduced. You have Spider-Man making his debut in the Amazing Fantasy #15 comic too. United States starting using Zip Codes, and of course we cannot forget Martin Luther King Jr.leading a peaceful civil rights march from Selma to Montgomery in Alabama."