Chapter 25: Niklaus

No words could really describe the way my heart was beating, and my lungs were working, but my breath was not coming out. Or how my brain was flying through thoughts and memories, but never picking one to focus one.

It was like I was there, and my brother was there, but mentally I was not there. Emotions whirled around, from anger, sadness, happiness, distrust,shock. Until finally, it settled on relief. So much relief that my eyes were starting to get a bit prickly and my breathing sped up.

I had just walked into my brothers apparently, only recently separating from the initial hug, but I watched as concern rapidly fixed my brothers stare on me. "Henrik?" my brother asked softly, and with concern that I had so missed.

Before I even thought about it, I was embraced my brother again as my shoulders shook as I tried to stop the tears from coming to my eyes.

"Ah, is the big baby crying," a taunting female voice, that was very similar to Elena, taunted to the side of us and I could smell a recently opened bottle of whiskey.

Before I even thought about it, I whirled around and my werewolf fangs were out and my eyes glowed silver as I snarled at her.

Startled, she almost dropped the bottle of Whiskey she was recently drinking as she tried to move away from the obviously angry werewolf that was in front of her.

"Leave before I kill you," I snarled at her and watched as she quickly sped to the bedroom that was nearby and close the door behind her. Even from here, I could smell how startled and scared she currently was. For not a normal wolf could transform the way I could, and how easily I let it happen.

She knew I was powerful, but that didn't matter right now.

Trying to calm my mind, I turned and curled back into my brother, practically shoving my nose into his neck to try and get his scent to calm me.

Familiarity. Calmness. Safe. Home.

The four words wrapped around my brain and slowly, my anger washed away to a sense of calmness, but loneliness also took over my brain. My wolf side was unwilling to part with my brother, trying to scent him as I tried to take in his own scent. Afraid he would leave soon.

My wolf didn't want to part so much that I almost whined when my brother attempted to move away from the embrace. But my worry was for naught, for he only moved us to the couch in order for him to properly hold me as I buried my face into his neck.

He didn't say anything. And I didn't either. No words could really be said between the two of us as we took in a close bond that had been broken decades ago with my first death. But along the lines, I realized that he must've studied werewolves long ago, because he seemed like he knew what I was doing.

Like he had more knowledge about werewolves than Elijah did, for he didn't seem as awkward holding me with my head buried in his shoulder as Elijah was when I was upset. Elijah usually tried to pull me away so we could look at each other properly and talk about what had me upset, but Nik seemed to just know that what I was doing was comfort for me and more importantly, my wolf side.

Finally, seeming like eternity, I moved away from Nik and just rested my cheek again his shoulder. "I'm glad you're here," I said softly, so softly I was worried he would've missed it had I not known he was a vampire, and the fact I whispered it right into his ear.

My brother hummed and started rubbing my back, like he was trying to make sure I was in fact there. "It is good to see you again, Henrik," he finally settled, his voice composed but I could smell the varying emotions on his body.

Most was small amounts of shock, happiness, loneliness, and love all mixed together. It was like he was still trying to believe I was in fact here, with him, and curled into his arms.