eight

"Good morning, Kook."

"Hyung!" The bells chimed as Jungkook ran into the store. Thankfully, there wasn't a line. Just a few people scattered about at tables; people reading the paper, a few students working on one assignment or another. It was so early in the morning after all.

"The usual?"

"No-- I need-- oh what was it, black coffee." Namjoon's eyebrows furrowed up immediately.

"You want what?"

"It's not for me-- it's for my boss! From my internship!" Namjoon practically sighed in relief as he typed the order in. "And also-- oh, I have her order on my phone!"

Namjoon smiled and waited. "Is it for a girl?" he asked, teasing. Jungkook shook his head.

"It's for--" he stopped himself. "I can't tell you, hyung."

"I know-- someone from work?" Jungkook nodded, giggling. He wasn't allowed to speak of the details of the movie. Director, actors, plot-- nothing.

"I accidentally bumped into her and-- my milk spilled and so did her coffee."

"Am I grabbing you some milk then?" Jungkook nodded.

"Yes, please." The total appeared and Jungkook reached into his pocket for his wallet.

Namjoon moved to the side to get the drinks made before two arms wrapped around his legs. He looked down. "Why, hello," he said gently to whatever was at his feet.

Jungkook frowned as his friend spoke and looked over the counter. A pair of big eyes stared up at him, sparkling. "Elise!"

"Kookie!" Namjoon let out a small, fake groan as he pulled the toddler up onto the counter.

"You're getting too big," he teased. Elise giggled and walked over the counter to Jungkook for a hug.

"It's been so long-- how are you?" he asked the little girl.

"Good," she said, hugging his neck. "Wake up."

"You just woke up?" he clarified. She nodded. "I woke up a long time ago-- I had to get up for work so early today."

"Work," she repeated.

"Mhm."

"Mama work."

"I know-- adulting sucks." Elise didn't understand that last part and instead waddled back to Namjoon. He sighed.

"What did we say about coming in here with your hair down?" Namjoon waited for Jungkook's coffees to drip into the cup while he gathered Elise's hair. "There's food around-- you've got to be clean."

"Joon!"

"Yeah?"

"Down!" Jungkook sighed, knowing what was coming.

"I can't stay to play today, Elise-- I've gotta go back to work." She frowned at him. "Are you gonna be here all day?" Elise looked to Namjoon for an answer.

"Yep, we'll be here." Jungkook grinned.

"I'll come back after work!" Elise frowned.

"Wanna play now!" Jungkook looked to Namjoon for help. The elder handed him his coffees, dipping into the fridge for a small bottle of banana milk. Elise's eyes widened at the sight of it. She pointed.

"Joon-- me too!"

"Okay, but we have to let Jungkook go then." She nodded and Jungkook giggled as he paid for the coffees, the banana milk always being on the house for him.