forty-one

"Coffee?" Jungkook sighed. "Jungkookie-- are you alright?"

"I have a lot to do," he whispered into the phone. "And that pretty, fluffy coffee noona made for me once was really yummy."

"She's asleep right now, Jungkook."

"Oh."

"I'll come over."

"No, it's okay." Jungkook sighed. "You should stay with noona."

"It's fine, I'm coming."

The call ended and Jungkook shook his head as he returned to his laptop. It was as if ideas were there, floating in his mind but still just out of reach.

"Jungkook-ah?"

"Jiminie hyung." Jimin slipped in, clearly just having woken up, given away by his ruffled hair and presence of pyjama bottoms. And lack of shoes.

"What are you doing, dude?"

"My script-- I have to finish my script for Yoongi hyung." Jimin sighed and turned Jungkook's coffee machine on.

"For tomorrow?" He pulled up a chair next to his best friend.

"Yeah, tomorrow." Jungkook kept typing.

"Did you leave it 'till last minute?" Jimin rubbed at his eyes as he yawned.

"Kind of." Jungkook sighed. "I have to finish."

"You will." Jimin turned to check the coffee. "How long do you have?" Jungkook squinted at the corner of his laptop screen.

"'till eight in the morning." Jimin sighed.

"I wish I could help." Jungkook shrugged and Jimin got up again to get the coffee. Stirring some milk in, he walked back. "How long will it take you?"

"A lot more time."

"How long does it usually take you?"

"A lot of time." 

Jimin sighed. "Didn't you start working on this the day you got it?" Jungkook didn't respond as he sipped his coffee, burning his tongue. "How has it taken you so long?"

"Writing is hard."

"I know but you must be able to fi--"

"This isn't math, Jimin." Jimin sighed. "It doesn't go one way-- a gazillion things can be sorta right in writing and it takes a long time to find what's perfect, alright?"

"I kn--"

"It's not like your numbers stuff where there's only one way to get one answer."

Jimin shook his head to himself, knowing his friend was just frustrated. "You'll finish it, dude," he tried to reassure. "I'm sure you will."

"Yeah."

Jimin sat next to Jungkook for a bit in silence and watched him work. He eventually fell asleep after making Jungkook a second cup of coffee, resulting in a very worried and panicking jm/f to find them at seven in the morning.

"You guys." She rested a hand at her pounding chest as she walked over, shutting the front door behind her. Jimin hadn't even locked it.

Jungkook had drooled all over the trackpad of his laptop and his arm had typed in a bunch of random letters on the screen. The battery flashed red, about to die and jm/f winced at the spilled coffee, just inches away from the laptop.

Her fiance, on the other hand, had fallen asleep, arms out straight on the table with his forehead pressed against the wood. His neck was gonna kill him and she could already hear him complaining as she shook both boys awake.