12:20𝘢𝘮 » 𝘫.𝘮

word count: 0.9k

request: ''you shouldn't be here." "i had to make sure you were okay." silence. "can i come in?" more silence - with jj maybank (and with a happy ending) ✨💙

✰ ⋆ ✰ ⋆ ✰ ⋆ ✰

The disappearance of JJ Maybank was oddly common. For years, you and your friends were clueless to why without explanation or warning, the boy would vanish. While everyone else seemed to shrug it off, you simply couldn't. You had too many questions and concerns for his whereabouts and safety, ones that nobody else had thought of.

It was Day 4 of JJ missing in action this week. You set an alarm the night before just to wake up early to head to the Chateau, hoping your best friend would be waiting there. Words couldn't cover your disappointment when he wasn't. Your stomach dropped upon entering John B's home, eyes scanning each room but there wasn't a single trace of JJ anywhere.

"What are you looking for?" Kie questioned, face displaying confusion at your random searching.

"More like who am I looking for. JJ still hasn't been here?" You asked.

"Nah. Just the three of us, Y/n. Sorry to disappoint." John B quipped, earning a light smack on the back of his head when you passed him to sit on the couch.

You caught the beer Pope threw in your direction, opening it and taking a gulp immediately. "Have any of you heard from him?"

"Nope." Pope answered, popping the 'p' of the short response. John B and Kiara mumbled 'no's, shaking their heads.

"Do you think he's okay? I mean, he usually pops back up after three days, right?"

"Relax, Y/n. JJ has the survival instincts of a cockroach. I'm sure he's fine." Kiara reassured you.

"Yeah, I'm sure there's nothing to worry about." Pope added.

"He'll turn up. But for now... how about some surfing, pogues?" John B suggested.

Although your spirits weren't that high to receive the normal rush of happiness you'd get from surfing, it was a good way to get some nervous energy out. The pogues may have brushed off JJ's absence, but then again maybe you were just paranoid. After the day of surfing and dinner at the Wreck, you all were back at the Chateau, tired and ready to sleep.

Except you were zoned out, still thinking about JJ. Even surfing wasn't the same without him. You didn't even realize the large role he played in your life until he was gone. He wasn't there to tease you for missing a wave, or there to steal some french fries off your plate, followed by you scolding him for double dipping in the ketchup. You didn't realize your foot was vigorously tapping on the floor, either, until John B pointed it out.

"Y/n? Are you okay?"

"Yeah." You replied, standing up and grabbing your keys. The pogues shot you confused looks as you headed for the door, clearly absent from the previous conversation they'd been having while you spaced out.

"You're not staying? It's midnight, Y/n." Pope spoke up.

"No." You answered. "I have to go do something."

"Well, can't it wait until tomorrow? What is it?" Kiara inquired.

"Don't worry about it. It's just something I have to do if I want to go to sleep tonight." You vaguely explained, though the pogues weren't stupid and had an idea of where you were headed. "I'll see you guys tomorrow."

You hopped in your car and strained to remember the location of JJ's house. Luckily it wasn't too far from the Chateau, and your headlights were able to shine upon JJ's bike as you parked on the side of the road. "Ok. Here goes nothing." You sighed to yourself, locking your car before sneaking around the house to a window in the back.

The only window that faint light shone from, one of a TV as the boy watched the screen. Approaching it closer, you took a peek inside to see recognizable posters and decor that only JJ would have, giving you the courage to knock lightly on the window. At the knock, the sound from the TV lowered, so you knocked again.

Within a few seconds, JJ came around the corner and had a matching look of surprise, only his was filled with confusion compared to your look of relief. "Hey." You whispered.

"You shouldn't be here, Y/n." JJ spoke firmly after cracking the window open.

A frown pulled at your lips, he clearly wasn't as happy to see you as you were to see him. "I had to make sure you were okay." He didn't say a word, avoiding your eyes through the glass and sighing. "Can I come in?" You whispered hopefully. "Please?"

He shut his eyes tightly, as if debating if he should let you in or not, before ultimately opening the window all the way and helping you inside. JJ didn't dare let your body hit the ground, setting you down gently on his bedroom floor to avoid waking his father. Once you were in, he tried to let you go, but you pulled him into your arms for a necessary hug.

"JJ." You spoke breathlessly, anxiety somewhat simmering. "I missed you so much."

At your concern coated words, he softly smiled and wrapped his arms around your waist. "I missed you, too." The sense of familiarity and home you brought made him temporarily forget the hell he was currently living in.

"You scare me when you disappear like that." You admitted, stuck in the embrace as you played with his hair.

He tensed up, kissing your temple. "M'sorry."

"Don't be. If you wanna tell me then I'd be more than happy to listen. But it doesn't have to be tonight." You comforted, feeling him nod in response. "You're okay, right?"

His previous worry washed away. JJ knew he didn't have to hide from you. You always knew the right things to say.

"I am now."