𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘴 » 𝘱.𝘩

word count: 2.1k

summary: y/n gets stood up by known ladies man jj maybank, but there's someone else behind it

✰ ⋆ ✰ ⋆ ✰ ⋆ ✰

Pitter-patters of footsteps sounded through the floorboards of your house as you bolted down the stairs and rushed to the front door. Anticipation coursed through your veins and anxious butterflies fluttered in your stomach as you let out a giggle.

"Pope!" You unintentionally hollered, throwing your arms around the boy. The both of you spun 360 degrees upon impact as he instinctively wrapped his arms around you.

"Woah." Pope chuckled, hands resting on your waist as yours rested on his shoulders once you both had stopped moving. "Someone's excited."

"Come in!" You urged him, tugging on his hand and leading him up to your room. "I need you to help me pick a dress for Midsummers."

"You're going to that thing?" Pope inquired, eyebrows furrowing. "Since when?"

"Since a few days ago..." You trailed off, trying to jog his memory. "I'm going with JJ remember?"

His face dropped at the reminder, but plastered on a soft smile just as fast. "Oh, yeah. I remember."

"So are you ready to see the dresses?" You asked hopefully.

Pope's hands were shoved in his pockets as he debated his next words, choosing them oh so carefully. The lump of guilt in his throat was a hard one to swallow. "Actually, about that..."

You bobbed your head slowly in a nod, telling him to go on.

"I have something to give you." He gulped reluctantly, pulling a folded piece of paper out of his pocket and handed it to you. Your eyebrows knitted together as you read your name written sloppily on the front. "It's from JJ."

Y/n,

I'm sorry I'm doing this to you now but I can't take you to Midsummers. Things aren't good for me right now and I don't dare enter the Lion's Den. I hope you can find someone else to go with, I know you'll look beautiful. Sorry again."

JJ

"Oh." You sighed, your enthusiasm coming to a screeching halt as your eyes scanned the scribbles again and again, as if they would move around and change before you.

"I'm sorry, Y/n." Pope apologized sympathetically. "I know you were counting on him."

"Yeah, kinda." You muttered, sitting down on the edge of your bed, note still in hand as you slouched. "It was supposed to be my first Midsummers with an actual date, y'know."

"Is there anything I can do?" Pope proposed, a small feeling of hope that you would ask him to go in JJ's place.

"No. Not really." You shrugged. "I just wanna be alone."

"Oh.. ok." Pope acknowledged, nodding his head. He took a few steps towards where you were seated and pressed a comforting kiss to your forehead, his arm loosely hanging around your shoulders. "I'll see ya later, Y/n."

-

Pope pushed the Chateau's screen door open, letting himself in like he usually did. The Twinkie wasn't parked outside, but he already knew JJ was somewhere in the house. "JJ?"

"Yeah?" JJ responded, coming around the corner from the kitchen, beer in hand. "You're just coming back from Y/n's right?"

"Yeah." Pope affirmed.

"You weren't there very long." JJ observed. "Is everything okay?"

"Well..." Pope faltered, eyes darting everywhere but JJ's as he rocked back and forth on his heels, visibly uncomfortable.