𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘰𝘯𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘦 » 𝘵.𝘵

word count: 1.2k

prompt: "It's getting late. I should go."

✰ ⋆ ✰ ⋆ ✰ ⋆ ✰

One minute it seemed you were dancing in the warm glow of the fire, and the next, someone was trying to break up a scuffle between you and a brunette you were slightly familiar with.

The point was that she wanted to be with John B, but John B didn't necessarily want to be with her. So in defense of your best friend, you tried to calm down the interaction between her and Sarah Cameron, only facing the receiving end of her yelling and unsuccessful attempts at doing any damage.

With more people jumping in, more people ended up getting into their own disputes and drunken fights each for whatever ridiculous reasons.

But to see Topper extending his arm to help you off the ground, you didn't care about what else was going on. As long as you could get the hell out of there. And soon.

"Y/n." Topper urged. "You alright?"

You finally regained your footing and dusted off your jeans, locking eyes with the worried ones of Topper. And before you could answer, you both couldn't help but watch the brawl(s) going on around you.

"Who's side are you on, Topper? You do realize she's a fucking pogue, right?" A guy called out behind Topper.

With a clenched jaw he looked over his shoulder, glaring at the other kook. You followed his line of sight and quickly rested your hands to his chest.

"Forget that, it's okay. Let's just get the hell out of here."

Topper nodded, an arm circling your waist as you both headed to his Jeep. Departing from what once was the annual Outer Banks bonfire turned into another stupid pogues vs. kooks battle.

"No it's not." He muttered, punctuating his statement with the shutting of his car door. But you were still able to hear him, especially now that you were away from all of the noise.

"What's not?"

"You said it's okay." He reminded you, the engine humming once Topper turned the key. "And it's not."

"I guess that's just a part of being a pogue, y'know? It's kinda like the mini bags of peanuts you get on airplanes. They come with the flight. Or the bread baskets at restaurants. It's all complimentary."

Your attempt at a joke to lighten the mood clearly was not going over too well, judging by Topper's silence pretty much the whole way to your house.

You and Topper had been friends for almost a year. The more he grew up and realized there was a different side of the island he knew basically nothing about— other than what he was told by his parents— the more he disregarded it, fully wanting to make his own judgments.

And upon meeting you one day, working the register of one of his favorite clothing stores, he wasn't scared off from your blossoming friendship when you'd told him you weren't from Figure 8.

"So... great bonfire, huh?" You quipped sarcastically once you were plopping down on your couch, Topper following suit.

"Yeah. Went off without a hitch."

"Maybe next year." You sighed.

"Are you okay, though? You're not hurt anywhere are you?"

"No, no. The other girl got it way worse than I did."

At that, Topper cracked a bit of a smile, which was enough for you at this point. He'd been unusually quiet.

"Y'know, I really appreciate you being there tonight. You didn't have to help me but you just keep proving yourself, Thornton."

"Don't mention it. I had to make sure you got home safe." Topper acknowledged, just before taking your hand in his and interlacing your fingers together. "And whatever that guy said... he knows nothing. You're an amazing person with a beautiful heart, and to be honest, they don't even deserve to know you like I do."

You smiled, nearly having to avoid his eyes to not absolutely swoon at his reassurance. "Thanks, Topper. You're a good friend."

As your last sentence rolled off your tongue, you could feel Topper tense up beside you, though he relaxed just as quickly.

"Anytime." He smiled almost forcefully, eyes flickering to the clock. "It's getting late. I should go."

He got up rather hastily to make an exit through the front door, but before could, you took his hand in yours to stop him again. "Wait."

Topper remained silent, but turned around with a sigh to face you.

"What was that?"

"What was what?"

"You know what I'm talking about, Top. Just now when we were talking, and then all of a sudden things felt... tense."

Topper shrugged. "I don't know what you want me to say, Y/n."

"I just want to know why you're leaving in such a rush like this. Please, just give me some kind of explanation."

"I can't guarantee you'll like it." Topper blunted. "But that's what friends are for right? Honesty?"

You gestured for him to continue.

"It's probably my fault, too, since I haven't spelled it out. But has it never occurred to you that maybe I don't wanna be your 'friend'?"

Your mouth hung open as things were starting to click. Things were starting to make more sense now. You never once anticipated for Topper to see you as anything other than a friend.

"I- uhm..."

By your expression of mild shock mixed with confusion, Topper was going to accept that as rejection.

"It's okay, Y/n. You don't have to say it."

"Say what?"

"Say that you don't feel the same way."

Moments of silents passed by as you both stood still, Topper reaching for the doorknob once he felt like this had been enough.

"Goodnight, Y/n."

His exit out the door made you unfreeze your movements, filled with an urge to follow him right back out there.

"But what if I do feel the same?"

He stopped in his tracks, but he didn't need to turn to face you. This time, you were already ahead and moving to stand in front of him.

"Then what?" You asked.

"You don't have to pretend, Y/n. I'll be okay."

You shook your head at his words in disapproval, though an anxious smile crept it's way onto your face.

"I'm not pretending. The only pretending we ever did was pretending like this isn't real. Because let's face it, we come from two different sides of the island and there's ignorant assholes everywhere like that guy tonight who hates seeing us be happy together. But this shouldn't be about anyone else. This is about us."

"You mean that?" Topper uttered hopefully, looking into your eyes for reassurance. 

"With my whole, beautiful heart." You promised. You and Topper wore matching smiles as you moved closer, wrapping your arms around his neck. "Your words, not mine."

He met your lips halfway in a sweet kiss, one hand finding home in your hair while the other one rested gently on your hip.

"And I don't wanna be your friend either, Thornton." You told him as you broke away.

He kissed you one more time before tucking a strand of hair behind your ear, beaming.

"Well... you should've just led with that."