𝘨𝘳𝘢𝘴𝘴 𝘢𝘪𝘯'𝘵 𝘨𝘳𝘦𝘦𝘯𝘦𝘳 » 𝘳.𝘤

word count: 4.3k

warning(s): angst, breakups, swearing

summary: while seeing rafe for the first time since your breakup, you can't help but remember the downfall of your relationship. rafe isn't good at knowing what he wants, and now it might be too late to go back. loosely based on 'traitor' by olivia rodrigo.

✰ ⋆ ✰ ⋆ ✰ ⋆ ✰

"No, Topper. No way." You proclaimed abruptly, arms folded across your chest as you refused Topper's invitation to a small kickback at his home. His parents were out of town for the weekend, leaving him with the perfect window to invite his closest friends over.

"Come on, Y/n. Will you at least think about it a little more than that?"

A heavy sigh fell past your lips, focusing on fidgeting with your rings as it seemed much more entertaining than the conversation at hand. "What's there to think about? I've hardly seen him, let alone hang out with him."

Him being Rafe. Your ex-boyfriend of a few weeks. Honestly, you should've seen this coming. Dating someone who's a part of the same friend group proved to burn you in the end, hence the already curious kooks offering to help mend fences between you and your ex.

"You won't be alone, Y/n/n. We'll be there, and Kelce too." Sarah informed. "We can swim all day and then sit around the fire at night. Maybe roast some marshmallows?" Sarah nudged your shoulder gently, hoping that her rhetoric was convincing enough.

"I don't know, Sarah. It's still fresh, y'know?"

"I doubt Rafe will even show up." The girl alleged.

"Because of me?" You wondered aloud. "If I'm what's stopping him then you should let him come. I'll stay home."

"But we want both of you there. At least the boys want Rafe there." Sarah attempted to joke. "You know I couldn't care less."

"What she's trying to say is," Topper interjected, "we're tired of these separate hangouts! When one day we're with you and the next we're with Rafe. God, it feels like my parent's divorce all over again."

Sarah swatted him on the arm, whisper-scolding Topper for being so blunt. "Gee thanks." You exaggerated, offering a tight-lipped smile to follow.

"So, will you do it?" He questioned, anxiously reading your expression.

"Fine." You surrendered. "I'll be there."

-

At least your friends gave you a few days of notice, or else you definitely would not have come. And just as Sarah guessed, Rafe was nowhere to be found. You'd spent a delightful day with Sarah, Topper and Kelce. Truthfully, you forgot Rafe was invited at all. Being with your friends was a sure thing to boost your mood, and spending time with them again was a great reminder of that.

By nightfall, the four of you were out of your swimming attire and in clothes that accommodated for the cooler weather. You sipped from a beer can as the fire crackled in front of you, relaxing into one of the luxury garden chairs Mrs. Thornton had decorating the patio.

You laughed at something Sarah said from beside you, with Kelce to your left in a chair of his own as he strategically roasted a marshmallow, occasionally yelping when he thought he burned it. Topper returned from inside with a new tray of s'mores ingredients, setting them down on a nearby table. All of you were so busy with your own thing, nobody heard the sound of an engine cutting off, followed by two car doors shutting. The only warning you got was the sound of Rafe's voice hollering as he made his way into the backyard.