𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘳𝘶𝘯 » 𝘳.𝘤

word count: 5.0k

warning(s): angst, post breakup feels, rafe regretting everything, swearing, mentions of drugs and alcohol

summary: part two to 'grass ain't greener'. in which everything comes back to rafe, and he receives his karma for what he did to his ex

✰ ⋆ ✰ ⋆ ✰ ⋆ ✰

"I can't trust you."

"Maybe you'll be the one to miss me one day, Rafe. Maybe not. But I hope you're happy with letting me go."

Your soft but stern voice ran through his head repeatedly as he slept. Your face was the only thing he could make out in the darkness after closing his eyes.

The morning after Topper's house, Rafe didn't think he remembered much from that night, only to be fooled by his conscious and see everything in his dreams. The absolute worsts of your arguments, the tears he made you cry, the final goodbye when you severed the tie for good and let him have what he wanted. It all came back to him.

"Y/n?"

"Rafe?"

"You said we'd always find our way back to each other. Will we?"

He knew your response. He could hear the words fall from your lips so clearly as you answered with red eyes and tear-stained cheeks. Deep down he wanted things to be different. He wanted you to tell him that you'll meet again, at a time where you're both ready for each other. To take another shot at what he now believes— was true love.

"I hope we can be okay again."

"Yeah, well... Don't hold your breath, Rafe."

"Rafe? Rafe! Wake up!" Mia urged in a harsh whisper, shaking her boyfriend to help the process.

Rafe sat up quickly, rubbing his eyes and blinking repeatedly to come back to the real world and get the thoughts of you out of his head. His name being the last subdued word you spoke before he was woken up to Mia practically spitting it out.

"God, what? What is it?" He groaned, taking deep breaths in hopes to steady his heart rate.

"You said her fucking name."

His mouth ran dry, knowing exactly who's name he uttered in his sleep, but he had to at least try to save himself. "Who's name?"

"I think you know who, Rafe." She grumbled. "Why were you thinking about her?"

He scoffed. "What? How am I supposed to know? It was a dream, Mia. I don't have control over that."

"I'm not fucking stupid. Was I naive? Sure. But I know you've been thinking about her ever since that night." She revealed, finally voicing her thoughts after almost two weeks had passed since the night at Topper's and her boyfriend had been acting unusually ever since. "Rafe?"

"Hm?"

"What happened when you went after her that night?"

"Nothing 'happened'. I don't know what you're talking about." Rafe alleged.

"Why did you go after her in the first place?"

"We're friends!" Rafe yelled, leading to an impending silence over the couple at 4 in the morning, as they were equally taken aback at his loss of temper. "We're friends. We've been friends before and we're friends after."

Rafe cleared his throat and swallowed harshly to cover up the emotion in his voice, and for the first time in his life, telling a lie made him uneasy.