𝘱𝘶𝘮𝘱𝘬𝘪𝘯 𝘤𝘢𝘳𝘷𝘪𝘯𝘨 » 𝘫.𝘮

word count: 0.9k

prompt: 'It's called 'carving a pumpkin', NAME, not 'brutal pumpkin murder'. Show some decorum and seasonal goodwill.'

✰ ⋆ ✰ ⋆ ✰ ⋆ ✰

When the colors of the leaves began to turn and they eventually fell off the branches with the cool breeze, there was no question as to whether fall had arrived in the OBX or not. It was bittersweet in a way— given that your summer filled with pogue adventures had to come to an end.

Did that mean the fun had to stop? No. Not if you asked Sarah Cameron.

The blonde girl was absolutely smitten with fall, and would either rope you and the rest of the group into her autumn activities or die trying. 

It was safe to say her efforts— so far— were successful, given that the group all sat in a circle on an old blanket laid out on John B's lawn, pumpkins in their laps and concentration on their faces.

"Holy shit." JJ muttered after his grip on his knife slipped, eyebrows knitted as he chewed on his bottom lip. "Almost lost a finger or two."

You paused your pumpkin carving to look up and check on JJ's in front of you, silently telling him to be more careful.

"Just don't bleed on the pumpkin." Kiara quipped.

"Who's stupid idea was this anyway?" The blond griped, ignoring the jab from Kie.

"It is not stupid, JJ!" Sarah argued. "Pumpkin carving is like the best part of fall!"

"Oh?"

JJ looked to John B and Pope to back him up, only to find them attentive to their own pumpkin carving.

"Really guys? You're gonna let her disrespect the bonfire like that? Outer Banks tradition since we were 12? Does that ring a bell?"

"Me and my pumpkin are just minding our business." Pope responded. "No comment."

"Parties aren't everything, JJ. You have to appreciate the little things in life." You reminded him.

"Yeah, JJ." John B chimed in. "What she said."

JJ scoffed, resuming his carving. "Sure. Pretend like the bonfire isn't your favorite event of the year, John B."

"Argue with your pumpkin." John B teased.

"Looks like he already has." Kie noted, cringing at the mess JJ had made.

Your eyes averted to the overflow of orange goop in front of you, bits of pumpkin scattered on JJ's hands as well as through his messy blond hair when he ran his fingers through it.

"Oh my God. It's called 'carving a pumpkin', JJ, not 'brutal pumpkin murder!' Show some decorum and seasonal goodwill!"

"It wouldn't hurt." Sarah added in agreement.

"This is harder than it looks." JJ sighed. "But you just wait. You're all gonna be blown away by my artistic abilities."

"Coming from a person who only knows how to draw stick figures?" Pope chortled. "I'm pretty sure you're artistically challenged."

Everyone except JJ let out a laugh, knowing that art was certainly not his forte.

"We'll see about that."

-

The whole purpose of JJ sitting across from and not beside you was that you weren't supposed to see what he was carving. He said he wanted there to be some kind of big reveal, so sitting where you could easily see his pumpkin would take away from the surprise.

Now, the sun was setting, and after a couple hours of carving pumpkins, you all were done.

"Wait, wait, wait!" JJ started. "Hand me one of those tiny candles."

"Let me guess— you did a basic scary face?" Kie questioned, handing him a candle to place inside the pumpkin.

"Nope." JJ answered proudly, lighting the candle with his lighter. "Decided to do something cute n' sentimental."

"Aw. You shouldn't have." John B cooed, resting his head on JJ's shoulder as he saw the pumpkin.

"It's not for you, dumbass." JJ shoved his friend off before gazing up in front of him, turning the pumpkin to face you. "It's for my girl."

With the illumination of the candle, the carving of the pumpkin was much clearer. There was a shape of the moon in the center, alongside your and JJ's first initials on either side of the crescent shape.

"Why's there a moon?" Sarah queried cluelessly, asking the question everyone else wanted the answer to.

"Because I love her to the moon and back." JJ stated as if it were obvious. And at times, especially ones like these, it was. "I love you to the moon and back." He repeated, this time making eye contact. Apparently, announcing it to your group of friends isn't enough. He needed to tell you.

"J.." You began, smiling so wide it hurt, a sheen coat of tears lining your lovestruck eyes. "I love you, too."

He met you in the middle as you embraced one another, giving a soft kiss to your shoulder. "To the moon and back?" He uttered.

"Yes. To the moon and back." You breathed, pecking his lips and resting your forehead to his. His thumbs caressed your cheeks as he held your face in his hands as gently as can be, relishing in your affection and momentarily forgetting about the pogues sitting around you.

"Wow." John B fake-sniffled, pretending to wipe tears from his eyes. "That was so touching."

Sarah hit her boyfriend's arm playfully, telling him to knock it off and let you two enjoy your moment.

"Simps." Kiara coughed out.

"Shh. You're ruining it." Sarah chastised.

"I'm all for this love stuff but get a room, guys." Pope added.

You and JJ stood up hand in hand, feeling too close to let go. The two of you chuckled, also in irony that it was usually you both making fun of them for being all lovey dovey with their partners.

"Not a problem!" JJ saluted, waving off his friends.

"As long as it isn't my room!" John B shouted.

"No promises!"