𝘴𝘪𝘤𝘬 » 𝘱.𝘩

word count: 0.6k

prompt: A gets sick on Halloween, but forces themselves to stay in the spirit anyway. B makes A rest and take it easy, and brings a little bit of Halloween to them

a/n: currently sick af and wishing i had pope heyward to comfort me

✰ ⋆ ✰ ⋆ ✰ ⋆ ✰

As you kissed the summer weather goodbye and welcomed the fall weather in, flu season was bound to take its course. And apparently, it was bound to strike you as one of its victims.

After running a fever for the last three days, you'd been trying just about everything to make sure you were going to be in good shape for Halloween. And a Halloween with the pogues no less. The Halloweens you had spent with them in previous years were always ones to remember.

But this year, your only memory of Halloween would be a sore throat, aches and pains, chills and sweats, and all the nasty, artificially flavored medicine money could buy.

Or maybe not, you thought as the sound of your front door opening and closing could be heard from where you were snuggled up in your bedroom. Someone could also be successfully breaking in with a motive to put you out of your misery at this very moment.

"Y/n?" Pope hollered wearily, hoping he wasn't disturbing your sleep. Of course it would be your thoughtful boyfriend, skipping out on a night of adventures with his friends to make sure you were holding up okay.

"In here." You groaned, voice hoarse as you hadn't spoken in hours.

"Hi, honey. I know you told me to have fun but I- oh." Pope paused suddenly upon the sight of you.

Because let's face it, this wasn't your hottest moment. Half of your blankets were on the floor, having to throw them on & off in an effort to keep yourself somewhat comfortable. Tissues littered your nightstand. The room reeked of cough syrup. It hadn't been the best few days.

"You don't look so good."

"Thanks." You half-smiled as Pope shook his head. You both knew he was just concerned, and didn't mean it in the way that your sarcastic sense of humor wanted to receive it as.

Before you knew it, his hand was on your forehead to gauge your temperature, frowning in dissatisfaction at feeling your fever had stuck around. "When was the last time you took any medicine?"

"Don't remember." You mumbled, eyelids so heavy you could hardly keep them open. "I did take some cough syrup, though. So at least the cough's gone."

"Have you at least eaten?"

"Some crackers."

Pope sighed. "That's not enough. Your body is trying to fight an infection, babe. I told you I should be here to take care of you."

"But it's Halloween! You need to be having fun for the both of us. It's not fair that you have to stay in just because of me."

"I'm willing to make the sacrifice." Pope cheesed, pecking your forehead quickly. "Good thing I brought you something!"

"What is it?"

"Remember those spooky Happy Meals we'd get as kids?"

With a gasp, your eyes popped open to see two Happy Meals sitting on your bedside tray. "You didn't!"

"A 6 piece McNugget Happy Meal just for you, baby. Your favorite sauce is in there, too. Just how you like it."

Pope sat beside you on the edge of your bed, both of you opening the boxes as you dug around for the Halloween themed toy.

You popped a fry into your mouth just as fast, humming in satisfaction at the taste of something other than medicine or plain soup.

"You're the best, Pope. Who needs a fun Halloween when I have the best doctor ever to nurse me back to health." You complimented, resting your head on his shoulder.

"So I'm assuming you'd be up for 'It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown', too?"

"Of course I am! The question is are you? I mean, it's probably boring for you when you know you could be at some fun Halloween party right now."

Pope chuckled softly, slinging an arm around your shoulders and kissing your temple. "Please, it's no fun without you anyway."