𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘭𝘢𝘴𝘵 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦 » 𝘫𝘣.𝘳

word count: 0.8k

request: Hey love ur writing! Can I request "The more I look at you, the more I think we need to leave." with John b?

warning(s): angst but i tried to end it soft ??

✰ ⋆ ✰ ⋆ ✰ ⋆ ✰

Nightfall. You never thought you'd be so happy to watch the rosy and golden hues in the sky vanish into a darkness while the moon and stars began to shine. A time where you and John B could roam free without having to look over your shoulders constantly. Without having to avoid the current circumstances that were your unfortunate reality.

But on a night like tonight, you never thought you'd be so desperate to keep the sun up for just a few hours longer. Or to even stop time altogether. You'd spent many nights lying awake, thinking about what this night would entail. What it would be like if it were to happen at all. If only it was a nightmare instead, though it was inevitable. John B would be going away somewhere on the mainland to live with a foster family.

He wanted to downplay it for your sake, constantly reassuring you that he wouldn't be going anywhere. But it would take a fool not to see through his act and straight to the root of it all, the nervousness and anger he felt about the situation. He asked if you'd come over to the Chateau one last time. Even if he didn't say it directly, it was implied. In only a few short hours, your lives would both change.

You swallowed the lump in your throat, the one that couldn't seem to go away despite the amount of times you had sobbed earlier. Inhaling deeply, you brought your fist to knock a few times. Shortly after, John B came around the corner and into your view through the screen door.

"Hey." He let out, barely above a whisper as he let you inside. Almost as if you two were being listened to, but there was nobody else around. You wanted to burst into tears again at the sight of some of his bags packed that you were sure he forgot to hide. He never wanted you to worry about it. "I'm glad you came over."

"Of course. I couldn't let you leave without saying goodbye, right?" You murmured, looking down at the ground to avoid his eyes.

"Hey." He lifted your chin with two of his fingers. "This isn't goodbye, Y/n."

"It feels like it." John B didn't say anything for a while, only kissing your forehead and holding you in his arms. "The least you could do is stop pretending this isn't happening."

"It's easier for me that way." He muttered into your hair. "I was trying to save the last of our time together."

"I know." Your heart pounded in your chest, though you were exhausted and just wanted to crumble. "But now it's up, John B." You rasped, letting tears fall freely down your cheeks. He closed his eyes in the embrace so it wouldn't hurt him to see you crying in his arms as he whispered some sweet nothings. You sniffled, backing away from him even though it hurt to let go. "I'll miss you."

Your eyes bore into each other's, both sets shining with fresh coats of tears as he cupped your face in his hands. "Who says our time has to be up?"

"You have to face it, John B. So you can move on. I want you to be happy. You deserve a family— I can't rob you of that."

"You are my family. I don't want to go. But the more I look at you, the more I think we need to leave."

"Baby, DCS arrives at 8 tomorrow morning. We can't outrun this anymore."

"Please, Y/n." He begged through clenched teeth, tears threatening to escape his own eyes. "We can try to. Just one last time." Your eyelids closed shut as you shook your head, moving to sit down on the couch. "Look, I can't go into foster care, Y/n. And if there's anyone I wanna run away with, it's you."

"Ok. But how would we do that John B? We don't even have anything. That's not realistic."

"We have each other, angel. And I have enough money saved for us until we can find jobs." He explained, sitting beside you and interlocking your fingers together. "It'll just be us, baby. We'll figure it out."

"Are you sure this is something you'd want?"

"Only if it's something you would." His thumb brushed across your hand softly. "What do you say? One last time, Y/n."

Once your eyes locked with his, you knew you couldn't say no. You had no clue what the hell you were doing, but you knew that whatever it was, you wanted to do it with John B. Losing him wasn't something you could bear. Not with the opportunity of a new beginning right in front of you.

"One last time, John B." You agreed. "I just hope we can get through it." Your head rested beside his, letting out a long exhale you weren't aware was trapped in your lungs.

"We will, Y/n. One last time is all we need."