𝘣𝘶𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘧𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘴 » 𝘳.𝘤

word count: 0.9k

request: " Look at how he's/she's treating you — are you really okay with that? " with Rafe 🥺

warning(s): mentions of cheating, but it's all fluff i promise!

✰ ⋆ ✰ ⋆ ✰ ⋆ ✰

"You deserve better." You zoned out listening to your best friend over the phone, repeating himself for the millionth time. Rafe sounded like a broken record. Trying to remind you of your worth but nothing seemed to get through to you. He would never stop trying. "Hello?" He questioned after a long pause of silence on your end.

"Yeah. I'm here." You spoke, barely loud enough.

Your boyfriend had been with someone else for a while now. Not only did you suspect it but the entire island of Kildare did as well, whispering the rumors around town that spread like wildfire. You just didn't know how to confront him. Especially when he acted as if nothing was wrong, as if the rumors didn't even exist. He chose to ignore it in hopes it would go away, smiling in your face and tiptoeing around the truth.

"Can I come over?" Rafe suggested, wary of the response he presumed he'd get.

"No. I don't want company right now."

"Y/n, please? I just wanna see my best friend." He pleaded through the phone, a door audibly shutting on the other end to punctuate his statement.

"Rafe, what are you doing? Are you in your truck? I told you not to come over." You grumbled, hearing his truck start up in the background. "I look like a mess right now."

"You look perfect. As always." He reassured, earning a small smile out of you that he couldn't see. "I'll be there in 15, okay?"

You sighed, knowing there was no way to talk him out of it now. "Okay. Drive safe."

Sure enough, 15 minutes later, Rafe was entering your home with his loud footsteps and 2 cups in his hands. "What's that?" You asked as he traveled up the staircase of your home, flashing you a bright grin.

"Snow cones. Watermelon still your favorite flavor?"

"Wow, I'm surprised you remembered." You challenged.

"Of course I remembered. You cried when we were 9 at the carnival when they ran out." He teased.

Your cheeks heated up at the memory, but nevertheless it was still a bit humorous. You chuckled. "Yeah. I was always the first one in the lines from then on. Couldn't risk it."

Rafe followed you to your bedroom window, opening it and helping you out to sit in your spot on the roof. "You always wanted to race and see who's tongue could get stained the fastest."

"And it was always me."

He quirked an eyebrow. "Maybe. But don't forget you always had the first brain freeze. I told you to slow down."

"You're no better than me. You asked the lady if the flavor Tigers Blood came from real tigers."

He laughed, nudging your shoulder with his. "Chill out, okay? I was inquisitive."

"Yeah, whatever." You rolled your eyes playfully, leaning your head on his shoulder. "Thanks, Rafe."

"For what?" He asked, mouth full of shaved ice as he glanced at you.

"For the snow cone. And making me forget that my life is in shambles. You always help me take my mind off things."

"Of course. That's what I'm here for." He reminded.  "But while we're on the topic.."

You let out a heavy sigh, already knowing the conversation ahead of you. "Yes?"

"Why won't you just break it off with him?"

"I don't know how to bring it up." You responded. "In fact, I don't even know if the rumors are true. It's not like I've seen it for myself."

"Look at how he's treating you — are you really okay with that?" His eyes now bore into yours, preparing to detect a lie. "Answer me honestly, Y/n/n."

"I don't know, Rafe. I really don't." You answered reluctantly. "It's hard to tell when you set the standards so goddamn high." You mumbled under your breath. But you both were sitting so close together, there was no way he couldn't hear you.

"What?"

You sat up straighter, stiffening at the new change of topic. "Nothing. Nevermind."

"No, Y/n. I heard you. But what's that supposed to mean?"

"Forget I said anything, okay? I-I didn't even mean it like that."

"You didn't?" Rafe's tone was hinted with heartache, the best he could do to mask it. You tried to respond, but no words came out. You weren't sure what to say. "Did you or not, Y/n? I need to know what the fuck you meant."

"Fine. I meant it, Rafe." You surrendered. "I mean, you treat me so well and I have so much fun being around you. Like I'm living in the clouds or some shit." He was frozen, but never taking his eyes off you as you gazed out onto the property surrounding your house. "But you're not my boyfriend. So it doesn't even matter."

"It matters to me, you know." He admitted hopefully.

"Well. I shouldn't have said it."

"Why not?"

"Because I have a boyfriend? That's not fair to him."

"Forget that loser, Y/n. He's an asshole who doesn't deserve you. If you wanted to be with him right now you would be, right?" He stammered, eyebrows furrowing as he tried to make sense of it all himself.

"Yeah, probably." You nodded. "But instead, I'm here. Having snow cones on the roof with you. Where I should be."

His lips curled into a smile at the reassurance, looking down sheepishly to avoid your stare. "I'm glad you agree." You leaned over to kiss his blushing cheek, which was only reddening under your touch. "Are you gonna break up with him?"

"Yeah. I am." You affirmed, stomach fluttering as you came to a decision. Rafe was more responsible for the butterflies in your stomach than you were, though. "Give me some time. I wanna tell him in person."

"Okay." He beamed, brushing your soft cheek with his thumb. Unbeknownst to you, those same butterflies were going rampant and wild inside of his body too. "I'll wait."

✰ ⋆ ✰ ⋆ ✰ ⋆ ✰

a/n: this is one of my favorite things i've written, it's also one of my most popular ones on my tumblr lol. i hope u guys liked it too!