𝘧𝘭𝘺𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘩𝘪𝘨𝘩 » 𝘫𝘣.𝘳

word count: 1.3k

summary: on a vacation with your family, you help john b get through his first time flying.

✰ ⋆ ✰ ⋆ ✰ ⋆ ✰

"It's official!" You chirped, bursting into your bedroom to face a bored John B.

His eyes averted from his phone and up to your cheerful expression. "What's official?"

"The vacation! We're going to the Florida Keys, babe!"

At the reminder, his hazel orbs shot wide open and brightened with the same enthusiasm as yours did. "Wow. That's uh- that's amazing!"

John B's lack of expression could be taken as anything, but you knew he was probably shocked. Maybe it hadn't set in yet that he would be going on a real vacation. And not just the annual road trip he and his father would take to visit Uncle Teddy.

This was the first vacation you'd be going on with a boyfriend. Your parents actually loved John B, despite what others thought about a pogue finding his way into a family of kooks. Your family could see firsthand the sparkles of love in your eyes when they fell upon the shaggy haired boy, and that was enough for them. As long as their daughter was happy, they would be happy for her.

In a way, John B felt kind of embarrassed. Embarrassed that he would never be able to take his girl on the kinds of vacations she's grown up going on. Hell, he's never even been on a plane himself.

Questions spun through his mind as the day of departure grew closer and closer. He tried his best not to lead on any worries he had. You were always quick to reassure him that he fit in perfectly with your family, no matter the difference in incomes.

When the day arrived, John B stayed over the night before. It made perfect sense, right? Have his girlfriend pick him up from the Chateau along with his suitcase, and spend the night at her home to avoid any confusion or extra chaos the following morning.

When he did wake up that morning, he seemed to be opening his tired eyes just after he closed them. You shook him carefully and whispered his name, peppering kisses on his cheek to wake him up. "It's that time. We gotta get up, baby."

Rubbing the sleep from his eyes, they averted to the time on the clock sitting atop the nightstand shortly after. 5:14am. "You Y/l/n's sure are early birds. I mean, the sun's not even awake yet." John B commented. "How long is the drive anyway?"

He felt like he'd never been up this early, not even to go fishing.

"The drive? The drive to the airport?" You questioned him, gathering the outfit you had set out to change into, already knowing you wouldn't have the energy to pick something out.

"Airport? What do you mean the airport?"

"We're flying, hun. Didn't I tell you?"

"No, actually." John B rasped, sighing. "You didn't."

"Oh. Sorry about that." You apologized through a yawn. "But don't worry. Flight's only a few hours. That's nothing compared to traveling overseas."

"Like I would know." He mumbled with a chuckle to himself, combing his hands through his hair as he threw the covers off his warm body. "So this flying thing... it's safe right?"

You shot your boyfriend a weird and skeptical look in one, as his hands hung low on his hips, tone wary as ever. "John B, of course it's safe. But why? Is someone feeling a little scared?" You teased, poking his sides once you got close enough.

"What? No." He scoffed, shrugging off your accusation. "I've been in worse situations."

Realistically, he was feeling nervous. And for someone as adventurous and carefree as John B is, it's shocking. This is the same guy who surfs the surge in the midst of a hurricane. From the looks of it, there's not much John Booker Routledge is scared of. But everyone has their fears.

John B couldn't seem to shake his nervous jitters. In fact, as the hours passed, they only worsened. The moment he set foot into the airport, he was lost. Checking in and going through TSA threw him for a loop as well, nearly sweating at the thought of those metal detectors going off. Even though he had nothing on him of course, he still pictured it in his mind.

By the time you were navigating your way to your gate, the sun was peeking out from behind the clouds, turning them into warm shades of orange and pink.

As you held his hand through the airport, he couldn't stop gawking at the large planes that seemed to be never ending. He even watched one land, wincing as the wheels touched the ground, knowing that would be him later today. At least he got a sense for what the landing would be like.

Just as you returned from the Dunkin Donuts in the airport and handed him a mini assorted box of glazed and chocolate donut holes, it was time to board. You could sense something was wrong by the time you had been sitting in your seats on the plane for a while and John B still hadn't touched his donuts. He was staring out the window nervously, watching the luggage be loaded up as more passengers got on the plane.

"Hey." You whispered, taking a hold of his hand and intertwining your fingers. "You're gonna be fine, y'know."

He nodded, smiling softly. "I know, I know. Just getting used to everything."

That excuse completely changed once the flight attendant began her lengthy spiel about safety and what to do if worst comes to worst. John B's eyes widened as she described the oxygen masks and the emergency exits on the aircraft.

On his right, there you were, as calm as ever as you got situated for the flight ahead of you. At this point, this speech made you happy. Because you were that much closer to the actual vacation.

"Oxygen masks? Emergency exits? Meaning, we might have to hop off this plane before it even lands?" JB implored with an aghast look on his face. The diagrams from the safety pamphlet in the pocket of the seat in front of him certainly weren't doing his anxiety any favors.

"They are obligated to tell you this stuff, babe." You explained. "But when we crash, just tuck your head in between your arms. They'll need teeth to identify our dead bodies."

John B deadpanned as he watched you demonstrate with a grin on your face, popping a berry flavored fruit snack into your mouth as you messed with him.

"Ha ha. So funny, Y/n. You're a comedian, you know that?"

"So I've been told." You quipped, eyebrows raised as you shrugged.

The plane took off before you knew it. John B squeezed the life out of your hand as he couldn't bear to watch the aircraft leave the ground.

-

It was safe to say you gave up the opportunity at a window seat for nothing. The pilot announced there would be some turbulence, and you sighed, knowing John B would panic unnecessarily.

"Turbulence? What does that mean?" John B asked.

Before he wished he never would've to begin with. You all started to feel said turbulence before you had a chance to answer, only giving your boyfriend's hand a comforting squeeze as you let him rest his head on your shoulder.

"Surprise..." You cooed.

"I thought this was supposed to be fun. And not stressful. Because I'm feeling pretty stressed right now." JB rambled.

"Relax, John B. We're gonna make it." You assured, kissing the top of his head. You handed him your other Airpod, allowing him to put it in his left ear. His hearing in his other ear was muffled as it rested on your plaid flannel, easing some of his nerves.

"Just close your eyes, and we'll be there before you know it, okay?"

"We better be." John B grumbled, frowning as he took another donut hole into his mouth.