𝘸𝘦𝘭𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘢𝘮𝘪𝘭𝘺 » 𝘵.𝘵

word count: 1.1k

summary: topper surprises you with a puppy

a/n: this wasn't requested but i haven't written for topper in so long so i thought this would be cute

✰ ⋆ ✰ ⋆ ✰ ⋆ ✰

Flipping through a magazine, you sighed, not finding a single thing that looked appealing to you. Your eyes flickered to the clock for the twentieth time in a minute, awaiting to hear Topper's Jeep pull up in your driveway. For some reason it became a habit of yours to wait around for your boyfriend from the second he was supposed to show up, almost as if you were 7 again and waiting for your best friend from school to come over for a slumber party.

Topper was already 20 minutes late, your worry only growing as you began to think the worst. Your heart skipped a beat as you read his name come across your phone screen as your ringtone went off. "Hello?"

"Hi, babe." Topper responded, his voice putting you at ease. A little bit. His tone did seem spritely, and knowing him, that could also be scary.

"Are you okay? I was starting to worry."

"I'm fine. I'm pulling up now, though." He answered. "Can you open the door for me?"

You were able to hear his Jeep pull in your driveway and come to a stop. A smile spread on your face at his arrival, throwing your legs off the couch to get up and greet him. "It's about time!" You exclaimed, hanging up before he could get another word out.

Opening your door, your eyes darted towards Topper who was standing by his open car door, jaw dropped as he mumbled some curses you couldn't hear. His expression looked panicked and you couldn't quite figure out why.

Before you could ask him what was wrong, an excited bark of a puppy interrupted your thoughts, his front paws jumping up and trying to lean on your thighs but barely meeting your knees.

"Ahh!" You shrieked, eyes wide and heart racing as you instinctively pet the gorgeous golden retriever in front of you. "Who is this, Topper?"

"Hi, there." You cooed, eyes softening as his ears flapped with his hyper movements.

"He's yours!" Topper announced jovially, resting his hands loosely on his hips as he smiled at the interaction in front of him, panting to catch his breath. He never knew how much energy this dog would take until now. And having spent merely an hour with him, he was exhausted.

Your gaze met his, confusion washing over your features. "What do you mean he's mine?"

"I got you a dog, Y/n!" Topper reiterated. "You said you wanted a dog, so I got you one. I would've had him jump out of a box or something but he bolted out of my Jeep and came right in." He explained, gesturing to the puppy now roaming your house.

"When did I say I wanted a dog?" You queried. "I mean yeah, I want one but that doesn't mean I was gonna get one."

"Kelce's house, remember?" He mentioned, hoping to jog your memory.

Weeks ago, Kelce's family hosted a barbecue to kick off the summer. You seemed to be paying more attention to his dogs than you did your own boyfriend, or any of the others for that matter.

« Are you gonna join us in the pool, sweetheart?" Topper asked you, kneeling down to your height as you laid in a lounge chair on the back patio, one dog on your lap and the other resting at your side.

"Maybe later. Boston's tired and I can't wake him up." You explained, voice hushed because of the sleeping dog on your legs.

"Come on, Y/n, join the party!" Topper whined. "It's no fun without you." His bottom lip jutted out in a pout, though you leaned forward and kissed him quickly.

"Sorry, my love. They're just too cute to ignore." You reasoned, petting the dogs gently.

"I'm too cute to ignore!" Topper remarked. "Since when do you ditch your friends and I for puppies?"

"Since I have never been able to have one of my own, Top. You know I've always wanted one." You reminded him. "And being around them makes me happy."

Through a dramatic gasp and an eye roll, Topper surrendered. "Fine. Join us in a few minutes though?" He proposed.

"Sure, baby. In a few minutes." »

It was safe to say a few minutes never came that day, as you were too busy throwing a tennis ball onto the green of Kelce's backyard for the dogs to fetch. But not only that, Topper had more than enough reason to fulfill your wishes. Last summer, you offered to dog-sit for your neighbors while they went on a rather long vacation, minimizing your time with your boyfriend and time for his 'legendary' summer plans.

"Do you like him?" Topper questioned hopefully.

"I love him, Topper!" You cheered. "But don't you think my parents will kill me?" By now, you both followed the puppy who had a mind of his own, sniffing the furniture and rugs all around your living room.

"Which is why I already talked to them, darling." Topper revealed, grinning as he sat down beside you on the couch.

The puppy was squirming in your grasp, eager to release his energy and run outside. His eyes were beaming and his tongue stuck out as he involuntarily smiled. "And they said yes?" You thought out loud.

"What can I say, I'm charming. They can't say no to me." Topper bragged, arms stretching out along the back of the sofa while one of them rested against your shoulders. "So he's all yours. On one condition..." He trailed off.

You sighed at the mischievous grin on your boyfriend's face, clearly ready to mess with you. "And what would that be?"

"The dog can't take up all of your attention." He admitted, pressing a kiss just below your ear as he muttered his next confession. "I still need you too, sweetheart."

"There will always be room for you, Topper. I promise." You reassured him, kissing his cheek softly.

A single bark of the dog broke you two apart, your puppy feeling left out already. "Aw." You frowned, picking up your dog and setting him between you and Topper.

"What are you gonna name him?"

"He looks like a Murphy." You stated, holding him up in front of you both. "I don't know why but he does."

Topper smiled widely, nodding at the thought. "Yeah, he does." Topper reached up to scratch the dog's head, to which he closed his eyes in satisfaction at the attention.

"Welcome to the family, Murphy."