Chapter 36

This Christmas was probably the best I've had in awhile. I got to hang out with my entire family—just not together. That part makes me sad, but I'm just happy to have my dad back. We woke up Christmas morning to Gigi's homemade cinnamon rolls and opened up some gifts. My mom seemed a lot happier than the night before. I wasn't sure if she was just putting on a brave face or was genuinely happy. Either way, it was nice to have some calm before the storm.

When we got back from Christmas break, things were awkward at school. Wesley was hanging out with us, including Molly and Savannah so people naturally stared. We didn't care of course, but one set of eyes did make me as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs—Blake.

She glared at us all week, which would've been fine. There's not much she can do to us anymore, but the glaring turned into blazing anger by the end of the week.

The boys and I decided to have dinner at Sugar's on Saturday night since it's been awhile. Football season has been over, and I've missed coming here after the games. It's one of my favorite things to do in town.

I got ready and walked over to the diner around 7 to find that only Wesley was there, aside from Molly, who was on a date with Austin in another booth. Savannah was having dinner with Amma.

Wesley shrugged when I lifted my brows. It was strange hanging out with him since I've gotten with Rhett. Well, I'm not sure what we are. He never has called me his girlfriend.

Whenever Wesley used to look my direction, I would get butterflies and feel my face get hot, but since being around Rhett, that's all changed. It's like Wesley is just another guy.

"Where is everyone?"

He slid my usual milkshake over to me as I sat down. "Somethin' is goin' on with that Vargulf, so they are trackin' it.  I'm on time out until I can control my shiftin'."

I took a sip of my milkshake. "That sucks. Did they get a scent?"

"Yeah, Parker went into the old hardware store today and got a whiff of the scent. They've been tryin' to track it since it's a full moon. So, I guess it's just you and me tonight." He winked at me.

Bev approached our table with a big smile and sat down two plates.

"Thanks, Bev!" Wesley nodded.

"No problem, sweet pea. I'm glad to see ya'll here. It's been awhile," she replied before fast walking to another table.

"Oh! You ordered for me? That's sweet, Wes. Thank you!" I thanked him while pulling my plate in front of me.

I could have sworn his cheeks turned pink for a second. "It's nothin', Rae. You always order the same thing."

He noticed. I never would have thought that Wesley Bedford would remember my food order. I would have swooned if this was months ago.

I gave him a big smile. "Still, thank you." I took a bite of my food.

Wesley let out a chuckle as I was chewing. "What?" I asked after I finished the bite. "What's so funny, Wesley Bedford?"

He pointed at his chin. "You got a little somethin' right there."

"Here?" I wiped my face.

"Uh, no," he laughed again. "Here. May I?" He motioned his napkin towards my face.

"Um, sure." I shrugged.