Chapter 5

The air was still warm on our walk to Sugar's despite it being almost eleven.  Despite the decent weather, Austin still gave Molly his lettermans jacket, which made her turn a shade of red that I've never seen on her before. I know she was screaming on the inside and that made my lips twitch upwards.

Despite our town not having a lot of residents, Sugar's was packed. As we approached the diner, I see other people from our school hanging out outside. Country music blasted around us as Wesley held the door open, and we sat our usual booth in the back corner by the juke box.  Immediately, Bev brought us menus and some water.

"What would all ya'll like tonight?" She asked with a warm smile as she tucked a strand of her brown, curly hair out of her face. It looked like she was a victim of the Georgia humidity despite the time of night.

Wesley looked around at each of us, and we all nodded in response.

"I think our usuals, Bev," Wesley ordered for us.

Bev winked before walking away.  "Coming right up. Anything for Darling's shining stars."

"Thank you!" We all yelled after her in unison over the loud music.

My eyes drifted to Wesley. I watched as he laughed at something Austin said, showing his white smile. Even on a bad day, his smile could brighten it. I guess that's why I've always been attracted to him. Wesley is just someone you want to be around. He is charismatic, kind, funny, and caring. If it weren't for Blake, girls would be swarming him. He's really the picture-perfect guy.

"So."  Savannah leaned on the table. "That was quite a game!"

"I know! They didn't stand a chance," Sawyer agreed.

"Did you see the look on that guy's face when you intercepted the ball in the third quarter?" Austin asked, excitedly.

"He had no idea!" Wesley laughed, followed by my brother. "You were on a roll today, Haywood."

My brother shrugged.  "I had to get on coach's good side after being late. Jefferson doesn't have a good team anyways."

"True that," Austin agreed. "Wesley's dad is definitely gonna be in a good mood all weekend."

Molly was looking at Austin like every word coming out of his mouth was gold. That girl had it bad. It was weird seeing Molly so out of character. She's usually the outspoken one who didn't let anyone see her emotions.

My attention went back to Wesley, who was now looking at me. I tried to conceal the blush that was forming on my cheeks.

"What did you think of the game, Rae?"

"It was great. You guys did amazing tonight," I replied, trying not to show any hint of my feelings for him.

"I'm surprised you were able to pay attention after seeing Rhett Dixon," Molly chimed in. "That's all I could focus on after you told us."

The table fell silent. All three boys were looking at me like I've grown a second head. My brother looked especially concerned. I didn't really want to tell Sawyer, at least not tonight.

"Wait, you saw Rhett at the game?" Sawyer asked, surprised.  I could see him grounding his jaw.

I shifted uncomfortably in my seat. I didn't like be the center of attention at this table right now, and I could feel Sawyer's irritation.

"Yeah, I went to get some food and saw Rhett and his friend walk in."

"That's weird."  Austin scrunched his nose like he smelled something bad.