Chapter 12

"Um, have you guys heard of privacy?" Sawyer replied with his eyebrows raised.

He never came home last night and didn't tell anyone where he would be, but he has the nerve to ask for privacy?

"Have you heard of calling?!" My mother shot back.

She never raises her voice at my brother, but she was beyond angry right now. I sidestepped away to escape her wrath.

Sawyer just shrugged, which set off a bomb in Gigi.

"What's the matter with you? You don't call us to let us know where you were at and you disrespect your mother?!" Gigi's voice was laced with fury.

She smacked him with her cream-colored, church hat on his bicep. Sawyer's eyes widened at her action and looked between all of us. He didn't answer her and instead completely ignored her question. His face hardened so we couldn't read him.

"I'm fine, okay? I'm tired, so could you guys like...get out of my room?"

I've never seen my mom and Gigi's mouth hang open like they were. They were in shock.  Heck, I was in shock too, but I was still confused and scared for him. Something was off about him and not just in looks, but in his personality too. He's never rude to our grandma and mom. He's one of the most respectful boys I know besides Wesley.

My mom gave Sawyer a look that showed she was hurt before she left the room. Savannah and Molly had already left as soon as my brother talked back to my family. They definitely felt the awkwardness.

Gigi looked like she was going to say something, but was at a loss for words. Instead, she took off after my mom. His face changed just for a moment, and I could see guilt before he was emotionless again.

What was his problem?

It was just me and him now facing each other. I could feel the tension. I couldn't find words to speak to him though.

"Um, leave," he ordered with a deeper, more authoritative voice and his eyes pointed towards the door.

"Um, how about no?" I challenged him.

I was angry with him now. How dare he act like this when we were all terrified? He knows to always check in because of my dad. He of all people was affected the most by what happened and should understand.

He narrowed his eyes at me. I wasn't doing what he asked me to do. I needed some answers.

"Rae.."

"Sawyer.."

"Seriously, leave me alone," he growled.

My eyes met his and my jaw clenched.

"No, not until you tell me what happened to you. You think no one noticed how you suddenly grew like five inches or suddenly have an eight pack? Or how about why you didn't think about letting us know you were okay, especially after...dad.."

His now large, muscular chest rose and fell. I watched as he ran his hand through his messy hair, which is something that he does when he is nervous. He was hiding something. Sawyer turned so that his back was facing me. Quietly, I stood by the door and observed him. He just stood there for awhile until he finally decided to walk towards me.

My brother was definitely taller and bigger. He towered over my small frame and looked down on me with the muscle popping out the sides of his jaw.

Instead of responding back, he used one hand to push me out of the room. Despite me using my weight to push back into the room, it was like I was as light as a feather to him. Before he shut the door, his light eyes met mine, and I could have sworn that they had an unnatural glow to them. They were different but familiar.