Chapter 16

"Rae?" Savannah asked in a concerned tone.

My heart was pounding in my chest, and my forehead was now resting against my locker. I raised my fists and slammed them against my locker, causing people to stare from the sound I made. I'm trying to grasp what Savannah just told me when I got to school.

"Rae, I need to talk to you about something I overheard Amma saying this mornin' on the phone..."

"What is it?"

"Gigi told Amma that...that they fired your mom from the grocery store when she went into work today..."

Mrs. Lawson wasn't just going to stop at removing me from the debutante. She went after my mom too—my family. She was trying to destroy everything I care about so I know not to talk.  This was another threat.

Why must this town be so full of secrets?

I couldn't let her do this to my mom. The debutante was one thing, but messing with the way my mom provides for my family is another. I wouldn't stand for it. I want her and Blake to pay for everything they have done to us. I wanted to show them that they can't just do whatever they want.

More rage bubbled up inside me, ready to blow at any second. I could hear Savannah trying to comfort me, but I can't quite comprehend her words, not when all I can think about is avenging my mom. She's probably stressing out about how to feed us or keep a roof over our head because no one in town will hire her in fear of the Lawson's. They own this town, and everyone is too scared of their power and what they can do to destroy their lives.

First Sawyer, then the debutante, and then this? I can't let anything else be taken from me or my family.

As I try to calm myself down, I hear Blake's laugh coming from down the hallway. Her voice gets louder as she and Shelby walk closer to me. I try to hold in my anger and continue to take deep breaths, but it doesn't work because Blake decides to push me further when she's comes to a stop next to me.

"What's wrong, Rae?" Blake acted concerned about my wellbeing. "You can't be too upset about the debutante. I mean, you were gonna lose anyways, so we really did you a favor."

I pushed myself from the locker with my fist and turned around to face her. Her bright, blue eyes watched me, waiting for a reaction. Her lips twitched into a small smirk at the sight of me.

"Rae, don't," I could hear Savannah behind me, but I ignored her.

"What's wrong? You think I care about some stupid debutante?!" I yelled in her face. "Your family fired my mom! You took the her means to support us away knowin' that no one will hire her now."

I stepped closer to her, causing Blake and Shelby to take a step back.

"Oh, Rae. Didn't I warn you before? My family owns this town. We can do whatever we like. Maybe your mom wouldn't have gotten fired if she didn't have a sinner of a son and a freak of a daughter."

Blake spoke confidently, as if she believed that her family owned the world. Her and Shelby began to laugh with each other. I could feel my nails digging into my skin. I was trying not to lose control.

"That's funny, coming from the daughter of a sinner," I shot back.

Rae, don't do it.

Blake's eyes immediately shot to me with surprise. Everyone in the room began whispering, filling the halls with senseless gossip.

"Take that back! My parents are not sinners!" Blake defended in a murderous tone.

"Really? Because I thought that straddlin' Coach Bedford in his rusty pick-up was considered adultery."