Chapter 1

Everyone has a secret.  Some are minuscule and no harm would really be done if they were to get out.  Others are more substantial and can do some real damage; those are the ones that people take to the grave.

At a single glance, you wouldn't know that the person you just past in the grocery store has more skeletons in their closet than you can imagine.  That's the beauty of secrets—you don't have to tell.  It's like there's an entire part of you hidden away from the rest of the world that you just know.

That's how it is in my small town.  Darling, Georgia has a population of 709 people, and every single one of one of them is hiding something.  Gossip blows through this town like wildfire, and if a single secret gets out, then everyone knows about it.

Our little town consists of a diner, a grocery store, a small gas station, a sheriff and fire station, a church, and our schools.  Sugar's Diner and Darling High School are the highlights of our town, and football is the heart of it all.  When it comes to game time, everyone is up in the bleachers cheering the Darling Wolves on.  We all bleed black, silver, and blue.  When we aren't hanging out at Sugar's or watching football, we are swimming at the creek or getting ready for the annual debutante.

Despite all the secrets, I love my little town and everyone in it, with the exception of Blake Lawson.  She's stuck up higher than a light pole, and I, unfortunately, am stuck with the evil cheerleader for one more year.  Thankfully, I have Molly and Savannah, or I don't think I could make it.

"Miss Haywood," Mrs. Wilson called, prompting me to look up from my drawing.  "It would do you some good to pay attention.  I expect a future debutante to take an interest in her education."

"Yes ma'am," I replied, politely as I put away the notebook I was doodling in.

"Now as I was saying..." Mrs. Wilson's voice faded into the background.

"Maybe if you put all your effort in the debutante as you do in your drawings, then you would actually have a chance against me," Blake snickered from behind me and flipped her platinum, blonde hair.

Laughter filled the classroom as Blake and her friend Shelby smiled at each other. Mrs. Wilson turned back around and gave everyone a warning glare before writing on the board again.

"Bless your heart," I whispered as I turned my head slightly, causing my blonde hair to cover part of my face. "You think I'm putting in effort?  I'm flattered."

I could feel Blake's glare on the back of my head, but that shut her up for now.  My best friends, Savannah and Molly, were laughing quietly next to me. As I glanced over towards the windows, I caught a glimpse of Rhett Dixon smirking before he returned his focus back on the book he was reading. 

Rhett Dixon is someone we are told not to associate with because of the gossip around him and his dad, Jason Dixon. They don't go to church or participate in any of the town's activities. Apparently, rumor has it that they are into illegal things like selling drugs.  Because of this talk, no one really pays attention to him, besides some of the girls. He might be involved in some bad things, but it doesn't make him any less attractive, though no one will admit that out loud.

I realize I'm staring when the school bell blares. I quickly gather my things into my bag and head out the door. Before I reach Molly and Savannah, who are waiting for me outside, I feel a strong arm wrap around my shoulder.

"Sorry about Blake, Rae. She's just having a tough time with the debutante. Her mom is putting a lot of pressure on her."  Wesley's blue eyes settled on mine.

I suppressed an eye roll.  "No need to apologize for her, Wes."

"I know," he replied as his pushed back some of his blonde hair out of his face. "I just know she wouldn't...but hey! You're gonna make it to the game tonight, right? We are playing Jefferson."

"Of course." I smiled as I adjusted my bag on my shoulder. "I never miss any of the games."

"Great!"  He gave me one of his award winning smiles and looked at Molly and Savannah. "See all y'all there."

"Bye, Wesley!" They said in unison while I waved.

He walked to where Blake was at her locker and gave her a kiss on her cheek; she smiled and twirled her curly, blonde hair in return. Austin and other football players walked past them and gave Wesley a high five. Wesley was the jock that every girl dreamed about, and of course Blake had him. I have no idea what he sees in her. Wesley is actually one of the sweetest guys. I've had a secret crush on him since I could remember, but I don't think he will ever feel the same way, especially because of Blake. As soon as Wesley hit puberty and became a looker, she snatched him up. Whatever she wants she gets, and she's been with him ever since.

"Gosh, Blake is being such a witch today," Molly stated, breaking me from my awkward stare.

"Hush your mouth! Don't let anyone hear you say that, Molly. Mr. Lawson can force you off your land if he catches word of someone saying anything bad about his little girl," Savannah remarked in a motherly tone with a look of fear in her eyes.

"Oh, shush," Molly scoffed. "Ain't nobody gonna force my family off our land. He may basically own the entire town and be mayor, but our land has been in my family for generations. The Lawsons can—"

"Molly!" Savannah scolded.

Molly and I giggled, and Savannah gave us an annoyed look. Molly has always been a spitfire. That's why she isn't participating in the debutante. The town knows better than to let her be in it. She's been like that since we were little. She would hit Tommy Anderson for pulling Savannah's hair, and then wipe the dirt from wrestling with him on the floor onto her overalls. She's always been the spunky tomboy, probably from being raised by her dad. Her little sister, Callie, and her live with him on their ranch. Their mom died when Callie was born.

Savannah, on the other hand, is old-fashioned and conservative, being raised by her grandmother. We all call her Amma because Savannah couldn't say the "g" sound when she was little, so it kind of stuck with all of us. Amma and my grandma have been best friends since they were little too, as was my mom and Savannah's mom, until her parents were killed in a car accident.

It was just me and Savannah until we were five. Then, we came across Molly walking by my house by herself with her brown pigtails and camo pajamas. She ran away from home because she was upset about her mom. That's when we became a trio and have been inseparable since.

"Are we getting ready at your house tonight before the game?" Savannah asked me as she dug some of her stuff out of her locker.

"Yeah, of course. Your stuff is at my house anyways," I agreed.

Molly peaked her head around her open locker.  "Great, because I need y'all to help me decide what to wear."

"Why? Because of Austin?" I teased.

She slammed her locker and her mouth was shaped like an "o" before responding, "No. What? I can't dress like the lady I am?"

It was mine and Savannah's turn to laugh.

"Molly, your idea of dressing like a lady includes wearing ripped jeans and a flannel," Savannah pointed out.

A sour look took over Molly's face. "Whatever. Just help me find an outfit."

"Okay."  I suppressed a grin. "Four?"

"Yeah, we will see ya then," Savannah agreed.

The Georgia heat kissed my skin and instantly made me sweat when I walked out the school's doors. Luckily, I only have a ten minute walk home. Our town is so small, that everything is walking distance besides the creek.

Before I walked out of the parking lot, Rhett Dixon caught my eye as he stood next to his rusted pick-up with a guy named Parker. I watched as Parker quickly handed something to him, and Rhett hid it in his leather jacket. I didn't even realize I stopped walking until I heard my name being called.

"Rae! Wait up!"

My twin brother, Sawyer, ran up to me and slung his arm over my shoulders. Rhett's and Parker's attention was immediately on me, and something in my head told me that I wasn't supposed to see what they were doing. I tried my best to tear my eyes away and continue walking with my brother, but as we left the parking lot, their gaze followed us.

I caught the attention of the bad boy.