Chapter 39

"Austin!!!" Molly let out a heart-wrenching scream and ran over to his still body.

The boys moved out of the way as she kneeled down next to him and wailed. I've never seen my best friend look so devastated. Her curly, brown hair was a mess, and black streaks from her mascara lined her cheeks. From looking at her clothes, I can tell that something happened because they were dirty and disheveled. She kept shaking her head over and over.

The black wolf transformed back into it's human form, which was in fact Austin. Blood was leaking out of the hole in his chest, painting the ground red.

It was Austin this whole time.

"It's not his fault," she whimpered. "He didn't know." She buried her head into the crook of his shoulder.

Everyone was dead quiet. Sawyer slowly approached her with a small blanket and covered Austin's naked body. I could see a single tear run down his cheek as he looked at his best friend. He rested his hand on her shoulder before walking away.

I looked over to Wesley, who was getting helped up off of the floor by his father. When he steadied himself, he finally saw the sight in front of him. His best friend was motionless on the ground with Molly sobbing above his body.

"No," he whispered when he registered what had happened. "No! No! Not Austin. I would've known! I would've..." His blue eyes were glowing, and tears freely fell down his cheeks. He held onto the towel around his waist as he ran over to his best friend. "It wasn't him! He can't be.." He looked over at Jason. "You killed him!"

"Son, I had no choice. He had no humanity as a wolf. He had no self-control. There's nothin' you can do once a werewolf turns into a Vargulf. The only option is to—"

"Kill him?! No! There had to been another way!" Wesley shouted. His chest was moving rapidly.

Rhett walked up to his brother and tried to put his hand on his shoulder, but Wesley moved back and turned his head away. "There was no other way. He's right. There's no comin' back from that.  I'm sorry.."

Wesley shut his eyes and shook his head. A few seconds later, he fell to his knees and cried above Austin like Molly. Rhett patted his back before giving his brother space.

I found myself forcing my gaze away to my family. Watching the people I care about be devastated is heart breaking. My mom was crying into my dad's shoulder and Gigi was covering her mouth in shock. I don't think anyone expected this. We knew it was someone possibly from the high school, but we never imagined it would be someone close to us. Our little town wouldn't be quite the same after this. My best friends wouldn't be the same.

I felt a hand intertwine in mine, bringing me back to reality. Rhett's eyes bore into mine—pain swirling in his green iris'. He squeezed my hand, which calmed my racing heart.

"We had no choice," he said in a rough voice, trying to convince himself. He looked tired. A large gash was across his chest, but was already healing.

"I know." It was the only way to stop him. It's Austin for Christ sake, but people have died and some have been horribly injured. It doesn't make this whole situation any less horrible though. "It's okay... I know you guys had no choice. I wish... I wish there was another way. Molly.." I sighed. My best friend lost someone she loved—the man she loved.

"I couldn't imagine what she's feelin'.. If I lost you, I—" He took a deep breath before continuing. "I don't know what I'd do, Rae."

"I don't know what I'd do either." I squeezed his hand. If I lost him... The fear I had when Austin had him down was something I never wanted to feel again. "I'm glad you're okay. I was so scared. I thought it was.." I looked away.