Chapter 22

I wish I didn't have to return home and go back to reality. I actually had a good time on Saturday, but now it was time to face everyone at school after that confrontation with Blake, and I definitely wasn't ready. One person I would have to face is Wesley, who I completely forgot about when I was wrapped up in everything that has happened. Truthfully, I was being selfish, enjoying myself at that lake while Wesley was hurting. His hurting is because of me—because I said something out loud that I shouldn't have. I had no right. It's his dad and his life. All I can do is pray that he doesn't hate me. I would never have a chance with him now, and I don't blame him.

"You okay, Rae?" Sawyer asked while I stared at the front of the school.

After taking in a deep breath, I answered him, "Yeah, I'll be fine.  Thanks for walkin' me today by the way. It's been awhile."

Sawyer put his hand behind his head awkwardly and squinted his eyes.

"Yeah, sorry about that."

"It's okay. I know why now, so I understand. I'm just happy to have my brother back," I accepted his apology and playfully shoved him. "Are you gonna go back on the team?"

He looked away solemnly, avoiding eye contact.

"Uh...no," he sighed and gave me a sad smile. "That was my dream before I changed, and it will always stay a dream. I can't risk hurtin' anyone if I loose control, and there's no way I would leave my pack to go to college. I wouldn't want to."

"But, Sawyer, you love football and have always wanted to make it to the NFL. You can't just give it up."

I rested my hand on his shoulder. It made me sad to see my brother give up on something that he loves, especially because of something that is in no way his fault.

He looked up at me, and his face showed no hint of regret, almost like he was content.

"Rae, I'm okay with givin' it up. At first I was mad, but then I came to terms with it. I've changed, and not just into what I am now. I'm different and have different priorities. Things aren't the same anymore for me. I promise you that I'm fine with not playin' football. I have an entire pack now, and they have showed me things more important than just throwin' a ball."

Looking into his blue eyes, I knew he meant what he said. When he spoke about his pack, I could see the pride he has for them. In a way, him turning into a werewolf has made him into a better person—has matured him.

"Okay," I nodded understandably. "I'm happy for you."

His arms then wrapped around my small frame, "Thanks for understanding, Rae. My little sister isn't so little anymore."

"Hey, I'm only two minutes younger than you, but you're welcome," I laughed and hugged him back.

"Come on," he motioned towards the school. "Only seven more months of this and we are out of this hell hole."

The walk through the front doors seemed like eternity, but I wished that it really was when I finally stepped into the halls. Everyone immediately started whispering and staring at me like I had a third head. I expected this from them; it's a small town, but it doesn't make the situation any better. Now I understand what Rhett, Owen, and Parker have gone through for so long.

After walking me to my locker, Sawyer left me to join his wolf friends, leaving me alone to bask in the new attention I was getting. It didn't take long for my friends to show up though. Savannah looked uncomfortable with everyone staring in our direction while Molly was glaring at them and telling them to beat it.

"What happened this weekend, Rae?  Molly and I have been callin' you ever since that fight with Blake. You just disappeared after Sawyer took you outside.  We were worried. I've never seen you that mad before."