Chapter 7

I struggled for air as I sat up in my bed. Rays of sunshine blinded me in my jumbled state. My mind kept going back to the dream I had last night. Something about it gave me a nervous feeling.

The smell of smoke woke me up from my slumber. Upon opening my eyes, they began to burn, along with my lungs as I took a breath of air. In response to the smoke, my eyes began to water and I began to cough. When I tried to get out of bed, something heavy was holding me down. Through my teary eyes, I could make out a figure next to me. I realized after a few seconds that I was being held down by a strong, muscular arm that belonged to Rhett. His eyes were glowing green like that wolf's I saw.

"We have to get out of here!" I yelled and began to panic, trying to get out of his grip.

His hold on me remained tight despite my struggle and words. Why was he in my bed?

"Rhett!" I pleaded.

He looked at me with an expression that I couldn't read. He reached his hand up to my face, causing me to flinch. I was scared. Rhett paused for a moment before brushing some of my disheveled hair out of my face. I wasn't expecting that gesture.

"It's going to be okay, Rae."

The way he said my name was like he's said it a million times before. For some reason, I trusted him and stopped fighting against him. My body relaxed, and I could feel the fire around us getting hotter. His glowing, green eyes were now all I could see through the thick smoke.

"It's going to be okay," I repeated back to him.

Then I woke up.

Even though it was just a dream, I kept thinking that maybe it meant something important or my subconscious was trying to tell me that Rhett wasn't so bad. But, I still feel bad about last night, so maybe that was me telling myself that maybe Rhett really is dangerous and that's why my brother got so upset. Maybe my dream was a warning to feel how everyone else feels about them.  I want to think so, but my heart keeps telling me otherwise.

Those eyes...

I couldn't help but think of how I had that dream after seeing the wolf the night before.  Rhett had that wolf's eyes in the dream.

What could that mean?

The way he said my name in my dream echoed through my head. Unable to shake it, I decided to take a shower, which helped a lot. By the time I got out and finished curling my hair, it was ten o'clock, meaning that Savannah and Molly would show up soon to go to the creek. After checking my phone, I seen that they tried calling and texting a bunch of times. I'm surprised that they didn't come over after my outburst. I'm happy they didn't though.

It's strange how in one day I could feel so distant from the people I love.

Once I was satisfied with my appearance in the mirror, I made my way to the kitchen for some food. A plate full pancakes and grits was sitting on the bar counter across from my grandma. As soon as she saw me, she gave me a warm smile and nodded towards the plate. My mouth watered as I sat down.

"So, anything interesting happen last night?" My grandma asked in a sing-song tone.

"Nope," I managed to say through my mouthful of food.

Her eyebrows shot up. She probably already heard about last night, whether it was from Sawyer or someone else who witnessed it.

"That's not what Amma told me this morning at the store. Savannah told her that Rhett showed up at Sugar's and you got into a fight with Sawyer," she retorted while popping a piece of bacon into her mouth.

Of course she did.

I let out an audible groan that showed my annoyance.  This put a smirk on my grandma's face. I watched as she wiped her hands on her apron and then sat on the bar stool next to me.

"It's strange, you know..."

My attention moved from my almost empty plate to her. I almost choked on the bite of pancakes I took.  "What?"

She continued, "I don't think a Dixon has stepped foot in Sugar's since I went to Darling High."

She peeked my interest. My grandma has always had a way of making me listen when she wanted me to, and I was definitely listening now.

"Really?"

"Mhmm," she recounted as she looked out the window above the sink. "Roy Dixon, Rhett's grandfather, showed up on a Saturday night."  Gigi let out a small laugh at the memory before continuing, "I will never forget the look on everyones' faces when he walked in. I'll tell ya, he was as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a roomful of rocking chairs, that one. I actually felt bad for the guy."

I was engulfed in her story. So many questions ran through my head. My curiosity about the Dixons grew, which probably isn't a good thing. I should be keeping my distance from them like everyone else in this town, but I can't help this pull I'm feeling.

"Why was he there?" I asked, unknowingly leaning closer.

She must have noticed my movement because she smiled at me. My grandma shrugged, "I have no idea. I didn't ask him while we ate."

My eyes grew wide with surprise at her words. I didn't expect that, but then again I should have. Gigi is pretty crazy and does things just to get a reaction out of people. "You—you ate with him?  A Dixon?"

Gigi laughed at my response.  "Close your mouth, dear. You're going to catch a fly."

I snapped my mouth shut and looked at her expectantly.

"Everyone just stared at him and moved away when he sat down at a table. I watched him from my booth as he ordered. When he received his food, I took mine and sat across from him. He was...surprised, to say the least. He just stared at me, bewildered at my bold move. He wasn't the only one though. Everyone was shocked, even myself for doing it. So, I just sat there and smiled at him between bites. I could tell he wasn't used to others by the way he tried to not return my gaze. I tried to make conversation, but I couldn't get anything out of him. Eventually, I finished my food and thanked him. I told him, 'this was fun' and left him at his table."

"You did not!" I exclaimed with a huge smile.

"I did," she nodded. "The look on his face was priceless."

Gigi sighed and rested her chin on her hand. She continued to look out the window like she was searching for something. My grandma is free spirited and generally happy, but sometimes I wonder what's going on in her head when she spaces out like she currently is doing.

After a few moments of silence, I finally spoke.  "So, then what happened?"

She moved from her position and turned to look at me.  "That was it," she concluded.

Disappointment washed over me. I was hoping for a reason why. "What? You never talked to him again or found out why he showed up there?"

Lines formed on my grandma's forehead as her eyebrows pinched together. She then took a sip of her coffee, and cradled it in her hands.  "Nope."

"Well, that's disappointing," I pointed out.

"What?" A humorous glint showed in her brown eyes. "You thought my story would give you the answer about Rhett?"

"Uh...yeah!" I replied like it was obvious.

My grandma laughed at my answer, and I gave her an annoyed look in return. I thought there was a point to this story that would maybe ease my curious mind. It was strange though, that a Dixon has showed up out of the blue like that before. Maybe it was just a coincidence and not because I saw them in the parking lot if it's happened before.

I'm left with more questions than answers, which doesn't help my curiosity. Now I can't stop thinking about that wolf and the mystery on why Rhett Dixon suddenly was showing a sudden interest in town activities.

"Sorry, life is full of mysteries and some just aren't meant to be solved," Gigi said in a tone that almost sounded like a warning and grabbed my plate.

I watched her wash my plate and thought about what she just said.

But I want them to.