Chapter 38

"What..how?.." My mom was at a loss for words. She stared at my dad like she was seeing a ghost. Her wide eyes were brimmed with tears. When my dad didn't answer her, she let out a sob and ran to him, embracing him like she was never going to let go again. His eyes began to water, and he quickly wrapped his arms around her.

"I'm so sorry, Cat.."

My mom continued to sob in his arms as we all watched their heart-wrenching reunion. I glanced over at Sawyer, who was watching them with silent tears running down his face.

I feel horrible. I'm so happy they are reunited, but I feel bad for keeping that secret from her. She missed him so much, and we got to have a relationship with him again behind her back.

I felt a tap on my shoulder. Rhett tilted his head towards the house, indicating me to follow him. Once we were inside, he sighed and ran his hands through his hair. He looked stressed.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to pull you from that. I just needed to talk to you about that Vargulf away from where they could hear us."

"What is it?" I sat down on the couch across from him.

"I was thinkin'... Don't be mad, Rae.." he started to speak, but stopped and took a deep breath.

"Just tell me. I've had an eventful night. Might as well add to it." I tried to joke, but am still nervous about the "mad" part.

"The scent was at the diner that night I came in, the football game, the creek, and even the diner again when you and Wesley were there tonight. It went after Molly's dad. There was someone at all of those places, Rae. I think—"

My heart stopped. "No." There was no way. "It is not my best friend. I would know if it was, Rhett. That's just a coincidence."

"That's why I didn't want to say anythin'. But, she lost her mom at a young age.. how do you know that didn't cause the trauma needed to changed her into a Vargulf?" He explained. He looked conflicted.

There was no doubt in my mind that it wasn't Molly. "No," I stated in an angry tone. "It's not her."

Rhett sighed while rubbing his brow. "Rae, I just wanted to bring that up just in case to prepare you. We have to kill it. We don't have a choice, and if it's her..."

"It won't be," I said in the most confidence I've ever had in my life. I held his gaze for a few seconds until he shook his head.

"Okay. If you're sure, then I believe you." He met my eyes again. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you more with everythin' goin' on. I just couldn't imagine if we killed it and it was.. you know."

It was impossible. Molly can't be that. Something tells me that we are close though. It's like there's an itch in the back of my mind, trying to tell me who it is.

"It's okay. I understand that you are lookin' out for me. I appreciate that." I gave him a small smile. "Somethin' isn't sittin' right with me though. I feel like I know who it is. I just can't place my finger on it, you know? We're missin' somethin' here."

"I feel the same way. This thing has been runnin' 'round for way too long without us catchin' it. We have to figure out where it's headed next. There's a few more hours of moonlight left, and we have no idea how much more damage it can do in that amount of time."

"Maybe—" I didn't get to finish my thought because the most animalistic growl I've ever heard sounded outside, followed by howling of the pack.