Chapter 6

I felt all eyes on me, making me feel uneasy and vulnerable. For once, someone else was the center of attention besides Rhett. I could practically hear their thoughts about how Rhett took notice of me. My eyes shifted around the room and saw my friends and brother looking at me with concerned expressions. I subconsciously rubbed the palms of my hands on my thighs before I finally moved from my spot back to my table.

As I sat back down in the booth, my brother asked in an angry tone, "What was that about, Rae? Is something going on with you two?"

I was taken back by his hostility. I know he hates him, but I didn't think he would just make an accusation without hearing my side first. I didn't know that they could even see how he looked at me from our booth.

"No," my eyebrows furrowed as I defended myself. "Why would you even think that?"

Sawyer gripped the edge of the table so hard that his knuckles were turning white.  "Because he was looking at you like that. Rhett doesn't associate with anyone, Rae. You promised me you would stay away."

He struck a nerve with his last comment. Just because he looked at me, he assumed there was something between us. I know my brother hates the Dixons because of our dad, but he didn't have to take it out on me.

"I haven't even talked to the guy, Sawyer! Not one word. I have no idea why he is here or why he even looked in my direction! You have no right taking your hatred of him out out on me!" I raised my voice, not caring if anyone heard me.

I glanced towards Rhett, who was staring in our direction, along with everyone else. I didn't even notice our waitress standing awkwardly by our table.

Bev cleared her throat as she set our burgers and shakes down.  "Sorry for the wait, guys.  Bill called out, so we are short-staffed in the kitchen," she apologized and looked between us, knowing we were fighting.

"No problem, Bev. We totally get it. Thank you," Savannah replied for us, trying to be polite.

Bev nodded her head at us and left us all in awkward silence. I began to pick at my burger and drink my shake. I could feel Sawyer's eyes on me the entire time. I'm sure everyone could feel the tension between us at the table because Molly squeezed my knee, trying to comfort me. My friends know we bicker, but they have never seen my brother that angry. I have no idea what's gotten into him.

"So...  What time are we gonna go to the creek tomorrow?" Molly asked, trying to lift the thick tension.

No one got to answer because my brother opened his mouth again. "I just don't get why that scum suddenly showed up here and looked at you like that. If there was nothing going on between you guys, then what was that little exchange? What about what they did to dad, Rae?!" Sawyer continued his rant, but I wasn't having it.

I slammed my chocolate shake down on the table, making a loud noise that got everyone's attention again. I couldn't take my brother berating me.

"You know, I'm not hungry anymore," I said, livid.

"Rae," I heard Molly and Savannah say.

I got up from the booth and began to walk away, but a strong hand caught my wrist. I looked back and met charming, blue orbs, which usually would make me swoon, but my mind was elsewhere.

"Come on, Rae. Sit down. I'll make sure Sawyer doesn't say anything else," Wes begged, trying to be the mediator.

I'm not sure why I said what I said next. "Wes, why do you care? Your uppity, jealous girlfriend is waiting for you. Maybe you should get going too," I spat and stormed out of the restaurant.

Country music began to fade away, and the sound of crickets welcomed me as I walked angrily down the road back to my house. I immediately regretted what I said to Wesley. It was out of anger, and I targeted his girlfriend. Angry tears ran down my cheeks at the thought of possibly ruining everything with him and because of how my brother treated me.

"Stupid," I cursed at myself.

I wouldn't have gotten into that situation if it weren't for Rhett showing up. I didn't even know him and haven't said one word to him before. I cursed at myself again for being nosey in the parking lot at school. I had no way of knowing if this was all because of that, but since this happened after, I assume it is a possibility. Even if it was, I still couldn't be mad at that guy. Him and his family get enough hate from this town, and it's that reasoning that makes me even more mad because I can't bring myself to hate those people. I guess it's one of my faults; I forgive too easily.

I wrapped my arms around myself as if it would comfort me and walked at a fast pace. I was determined to get home so I could get in bed and hide from the world. Unfortunately, I would have to face it again in the morning when we all go to the creek. It would be extremely hard to avoid Sawyer and face Wesley, but there's no way I can stay home. My mom wouldn't leave me alone until she finds out why I didn't go, and I couldn't let her find out what happened. She would only side with Sawyer like she always does, and I can't take her berating me too. She's not too fond of the Dixons like my brother.

When I past Savannah's house, I heard a distant howl.  Immediately, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up goosebumps cover my arms. My flight or fight instinct kicked in, and I chose flight. I didn't even know if the wolf was close, but I didn't want to take the chance.

Yeah, our town is the the home of the Darling Wolves, but I've never actually seen one in our town. I didn't want to stick around to find out. A logical voice in the back of my mind kept telling me that it was probably a dog, but I've heard recordings of what a wolf sounds like at our pep rallys and football games and that came pretty close.

I could've sworn I heard something behind me as I was running, so I picked up the pace. It could be in my head since I am already freaked out, but I'm too chicken to look back. I could see the light on my front porch just ahead, illuminating my path to safety.

Thinking about it now, I realize it wasn't a good idea to go home by myself at all. I really let anger cloud my thinking, another one of my faults.

The wooden steps creaked as I briskly went up them to my front door. When I finally got the door opened, I looked back at where I came from, silently hoping I wouldn't see anything and that I would laugh about being scared for nothing tomorrow.

My eyes scanned the darkness and landed on the woods across from my house. Something that was moving caught my attention, making my stomach drop. Just across from my house was what I feared—a huge wolf. I could barely make out the silouette of it along the tree line, but it's eyes is what made it stand out. The green eyes almost looked like they were glowing, kind of like when you shine a light at an animal in a dark room. It's glowing, green eyes were a sharp contrast against the night.

For some reason, I couldn't move my body. It was like I was in total shutdown mode, and my eyes couldn't leave the animal's. Although we are at least 200 feet from each other, I couldn't help the fear encasing me.

Finally, after what seemed like forever, the wolf moved forward one step.  Instinctively, I stepped backwards.  My body was able to function again after that action, so I shut the screen door without breaking eye contact.

As soon as I was in the house, the green eyes began to move father away. Before it ventured into the woods, it looked back at me again. A strange sense of familiarity washed over my body. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't place where I got that feeling from. The more I looked at the wolf and it's eyes, the less I was scared of it. If it was going to attack me, it would have done so, right?

The wolf finally turned away from me and took off into the woods. I stood in the doorway for another minute to see if it was coming back before closing the front door and heading to my room. As I tried to fall asleep, memories of today flashed through my head. It wasn't until the image of that wolf came into mind that I was then able to fall into a deep sleep.