Chapter 40

Life can be unfair. Sometimes it can just pour down on you, surrounding you with hurricanes that can turn your life upside down. It can also be filled with miracles that absolutely change your life and perspective. Other times, life can teach you lessons. It can open your mind to things you never once would understand.

One thing I will still never understand is why Austin, who just turned eighteen, is being lowered six feet deep into the ground while my best friend is trying to hold herself together.

That's unfair. It's also very short of a miracle.

Today is Austin's funeral, and today we all watched our good friend be put to rest while it literally poured on us.

All he had was us and his dad, who also like Austin, was put into the ground after what happened last week. Despite that, I know that with all of us here, there was enough love to make up for the lack of family, especially since none of us knew how his home life really was. If we did, then maybe we would have had a clue sooner that Austin had trauma that could trigger being a Vargulf. I know that thought haunts us all.

As I threw a fistful of dirt into his final resting place, I thought about the events that took place last week. Every night since then, nightmares have plagued me, mostly of the looks on my friends' and familys' faces. That night was full of tragedy, and Austin wasn't the only one to lose his life. Mr. Bedford wasn't lucky either. Two days ago was his funeral. This was Wesley's second one he's been to this week. I'm not sure how he's able to be strong through all of this—losing his "dad" and best friend the same day.

At least he has his mom, Jason, Rhett, and of course, his friends.

The day after Mr. Bedford died, Frankie thought it would be best if Wesley stayed permanently with Jason. She wanted to make sure that Wesley would learn full control and not end up like Austin. Wesley agreed. He didn't want that to happen either.

Two miracles did happen though.

My mom got my dad back. That's something that I never thought that I would see, yet I stand here watching my dad holding my mom close to him as she throws a fistful of dirt down the hole.

The town doesn't know about my dad, and we want to keep it that way, so Austin's funeral was held at the private cemetery on the back on Jason's property that's usually reserved for their pack members. Jason thought that even though Austin wasn't a part of his pack, he was still a wolf and what he became wasn't his fault. We all wish we could have helped him.

My dad is still going to live over on Jason's property too, otherwise his reappearance would attract attention and unwanted questions. It's better to keep werewolves a secret from the town. My mom decided to stay with him on the weekends, and we agreed to have dinner over there every Wednesday night.
As soon as we graduate, my mom wants to move in with him. She wanted to sooner, and Sawyer and I agreed, but she has to find a job outside of town until the shop is repaired from the attack.

Seeing her smile again every time she sees him, is everything. Last week was a nightmare, but seeing my mom happy again is a beacon of light.

As I stared at Parker, who was filling the rest of the hole, I felt a hand squeeze my shoulder. It startled me, causing me to flinch.

"Sorry, Rae." Gigi gave me an apologetic look. "I didn't mean to scare you. I was just checkin' to see how you were doin'."

I sighed and glanced over at my mom, who was talking to Wesley and Sawyer with my dad before answering. "I'm fine." As fine as one can be after what happened.

Gigi followed my line of sight. "Mhmm. What's all that then?" Her mouth went into a thin line and she cocked her head towards my parents.

"What?" This lady knows everything.