Chapter 13

Sawyer didn't come back home until almost one o'clock in the morning. My mom was beyond furious. I've never seen her so stressed out. Usually Sawyer walks to school with me, but when I went to his room to get him, he was already gone. The gym bag that he always takes to school wasn't there either.

So, I walked to school by myself. The stickiness on my skin caused by the Georgia heat made me wish that I had my own car. Darling High is only a ten minute walk, but in the heat, it feels like forever.

A couple of dried leaves were scattered along the dirt road. Fall would be taking over soon, and the thought of it doing so gives me excitement. I couldn't wait until winter and to feel the snow flurries on my skin. I love summer, but hate the heat that comes with it. You can bundle up to keep warm in the winter, but it's hard to get cool in the summer.

Molly and Savannah greet me as soon as I walk through the double doors of our school. Angst on their faces tell me that something is going on.

"Oh my goodness, Rae! Thank God you're here!" Savannah greeted me with worry apparent on her features.

My friends were starting to scare me. I look up and see people whispering to each other.

"What's goin' on, guys?" I asked while shifting my eyes uncomfortably around me.

"It's Sawyer," Molly answered me hesitantly. "He walked right into school with Rhett and Parker."

My eyes widened, but I was not surprised because of seeing them together yesterday. I sigh and drag them closer to the lockers before leaning in to whisper to them.

"He was with him yesterday too," I explained. "Rhett came to my house yesterday, and they left with each other towards the Dixons place. He didn't come home until early this mornin'."

They were both visibly shaken and looked at each other. Savannah shook her head in disbelief.

"I don't like this, Rae.  Somethin' is not right. He's changed completely over night."

I sighed in annoyance, "Me either."

Molly looked around to make sure people weren't listening to our conversation as the people of Darling are big with gossip.

"You guys, don't you find it weird that Sawyer hated Rhett on Friday night when he freaked out because of how he looked at Rae, but now he is hanging out with him after he disappeared on Saturday night?"

"Yeah..." I rubbed my forehead. "There's somethin' weird going on. I need to get through to him. I need answers."

My friends gave me reassuring smiles.

"We will help you. Sawyer means a lot to us too, and hangin' out with Rhett is not a good thing," Savannah offered to me while resting her hand on my shoulder.

"Yeah, we will help with anythin' you need, Rae," Molly agreed.

I gave them a weak smile back because I'm too focused on what was going on with my brother. My mind was running rampant with thoughts.

"Thanks guys. It means a lot."

The day seemed to pass by quickly as I tried to push through my classes. Sawyer, Rhett, and the few guys that he hangs out with weren't at lunch. In fact, the closest I got to them all day was through the whispers and gossip that was floating around school. People were looking at me with pity like my brother has gone to the dark side.

Wesley and Austin asked me about what was going on, but I couldn't give them an answer. I just excused myself from the lunch table.

Anxiety began to build up in me as I walked through the door of my last class of the day. It was the only class that I have with Rhett, so I figured that maybe I could get some answers there.