Chapter 20

As soon as the truck door shut, the porch light went on, and my mom and Gigi ran out. I gave Rhett one last look before walking up the steps. He gave me a swift nod and drove away, leaving a cloud of dirt in his place. When I reached the top of the stairs, I was pulled into a tight embrace by my mom.

"I thought something horrible happened to you, Rae!" Worry was clear in her voice.

"I'm sorry, mom," I whispered. "And I'm sorry about your job."

She pushed me arms-length away from her and kept her hands on my shoulders.

"Don't be sorry. It's not your fault," she gave me a warm smile.

But it is..

"Come on inside. It's freezing out here," Gigi ordered while ushering is inside of the house where it was a lot warmer.

Gigi pulled me to the couch and had me sit down next to her while my mom sat on the arm chair adjacent to the couch. I knew the questions would be coming, but I can't let them know about Sawyer or dad.

"Who dropped you off? Where were you?  We were so worried when you didn't call us or answer the phone," Gigi questioned me.

I contemplated on what truths to tell them.

"That was Rhett. I've been at the Dixons with Sawyer."

"The Dixons?!" My mom exclaimed. "Rae, what did I say about them? I don't even want Sawyer around them."

I sighed knowing that this would be the reaction. Things were going to be different from now on. No one was going to keep me away from my brother and especially my dad, so my family had to be okay with Jason and Rhett. They had to see.

"Mom," I said sternly. "They aren't bad people.  I...I got....lost tryin' to find Sawyer tonight and Rhett helped me. Him and his dad were pretty nice, and Rhett even offered to drive me home so I was safe. They aren't who everyone says they are."

She shut her eyes and shook her head at me, which was a sign that her opinion of them is solid. She's stubborn like that, and I can see where Sawyer gets it from.

"You can't just know someone is a decent person from just one good deed. You need to stay away from them. Sawyer may not listen to me, but you will."

She didn't even let me respond before she left the room. She was set in her beliefs for now. I would just have to change her mind. Maybe if she accepted them, she would be more open to my dad being alive and what he is. He wouldn't be able to come home because of the town, but they could be together again.

"Well, I for one think you can know a lot about a person from their eyes. They can tell you a lot about their soul—who they really are," Gigi commented while holding onto my hand.

The image of Rhett's eyes came into mind, and I knew what my grandma was talking about. There's something about them that draw me into them and show me that there's more to him that what everyone thinks. Maybe that's why I've never was scared off like everyone else.

"I think I know what you mean," I reply simply.

Gigi nods in response. "Your mom will come around to it. In a way, she blames them for your dad even though she knows it's not their fault."

My lips formed a straight line as I looked up at a photo from our family camping trips three summers ago. Everything was more simple back then, and everyone was happy.  Knowing that my father is alive is absolutely amazing, but also like a curse. I know he would bring my family back together, but he can't just come home and I can't tell anyone about him. As much as I wish I could, I can't.