Chapter 33

Wesley sat up on the couch and took in his surroundings. Panic was setting in when he realized that he had no idea where he was. I grabbed his hand and gave it a small squeeze to get his attention.

"You're at the Dixon's. You're okay, Wes."

His brows furrowed at my statement. "Why am I at the Dixon's? What happened? I feel weird." He moved his hands in strange directions while he examined them. He looked bigger, more muscular.

"Um.." I whispered and looked back towards Jason. He gave me a nod, so I returned my attention to Wesley. "Rhett's dad, Jason, is going to explain everythin' to you, okay? You just have to promise me that you'll hear him out, no matter how crazy anythin' sounds."

Wesley let out a breath while looking between me and Jason before he agreed. "Okay."  Then, he grabbed my hand and motioned for me to sit next to him on the couch, never letting go.

Jason explained everything to Wesley about what he is and how it will be for him for now on. He even went on to explain about what happened to my dad and brother, which made Wesley's mouth hang open in shock. I can only imagine what is going through his head right now. The only thing that Jason didn't tell him was about his relationship to him. When it came to that part, he would start to speak, but his mouth failed him.

"Another important thing that we need to discuss is..." Jason's lips pressed into a thin line. "I found out tonight that..."

Wesley tilted his head at his dad as if telling him to continue. With that gesture, Jason sighed and glanced at me. I bet it would be so much easier if his mother was here to explain. I don't want Wesley to see Jason as he bad guy.

So, I cut in, "Um, Wes... what Jason wants to tell you is that there are some things besides what you are that your mom has kept from you, but I feel that it should come from her."

He looked confused, slightly tilting his head so that a lock of hair covers his eye. "What is it? Just tell me. I can handle it." I could tell that all this is too much for him and that he's just putting on a brave face. I know it would be too much for me. He just discovered that his life is going to change drastically and will now find out that another part of him was a lie too.

I was about to explain when Jason spoke up. "Wesley, I'm your real father," Jason stated bluntly. He then just stared at his son, trying to observe his reaction. My eyes just widened, waiting to see what was about to happen.

Well, that's one way to tell him.

Wesley's eyebrows just rose and he said in disbelief, "Wait, what?!"

The next hour consisted of some awkward conversation and some yelling coming from Wesley. I've never seen him with such anger, but with his werewolf gene activated, it would be something that I would have to get used to.

Jason ended up calling Frankie, who came back to the house to calm Wesley down and confirm Jason's claims. After talking to him about it, he seemed to be less agitated with Jason, but more with his mother. When Wesley told her to leave and that he was staying here, she didn't protest and left quietly, probably knowing that he needed some time to think. Honestly, I feel bad for Frankie. She was only doing what she thought was best for him. I can only hope that one day Wesley understands that and forgives her.

After Jason showed Wesley to where he would be sleeping, I made myself comfortable on the couch. It was late, and I didn't want to ask anyone for a ride due to everything that went on tonight. I sent a quick text to Gigi and my dad kissed me goodnight. Then, I was alone with my thoughts in a house full of werewolves. It took about an hour to fall asleep with all my thoughts racing through my mind, but when I finally did, I fell into a deep sleep.

The aroma of coffee woke me from my peaceful slumber. I may be sleeping on the couch, but it was the best sleep I have ever had, probably because of the dream I had about Rhett kissing me again. My fingers grazed my bottom lip as I recall how soft Rhett's lips were from the night before. Just the thought of it made a smile grow on my face. I wouldn't mind going back to sleep and dreaming about it some more, but the strong smell of coffee made me sit up.

I kicked off the Batman blanket and followed the delicious smell into the kitchen. It was empty, and a pot of coffee sat on the counter. I rummaged through the cabinets until I found a coffee cup and poured myself some, drowning most of it with vanilla creamer. Satisfied with the light-tan color, I grabbed my coffee and went back to the living room, where I noticed that the front door was slightly ajar. My curiosity got this best if me, and I stepped outside, finding Rhett sitting on porch swing with a cup of coffee in his hands.

His gaze matched my own as I took a seat next to him. A small smile crept onto his lips as he casted his eyes down. I turned my attention to the woods around the house and admired the orange glow from the rising sun. There was a small, crisp breeze that made me shiver, but it didn't bother me. I focused my attention on the swaying trees.

"Did you sleep well?" He asked in a low, husky voice. His eyes looked a little puffy.

"I actually did," I admitted, observing his face. "The couch and blanket were quite comfortable."

Rhett scratched his head. "Yeah, that blanket has always helped me sleep. You could have slept in my room though so you didn't have to sleep on the couch."

"No, the couch was perfect and more comfortable than my bed at home. Thanks though." I gave him an reassuring smile. "That is your blanket?"

He nodded with a smile. "Yeah, my mom gave it to me. It's the most comfortable blanket in the house." Rhett bit his lip before taking a sip of his coffee, which I discover is almost a black color.

So, he's one of those people.

I just smiled in response and took a sip of my drink. My eyes occasionally glanced at Rhett, taking in his disheveled hair and sweats. He looked like a boy instead of a scary, teenage criminal. His mysterious, cold appearance was replaced with a vulnerable side that I wasn't used to. It was actually a good look on him. The urge to close the distance between us was strong, especially after last night and my dream. I wanted to just feel his soft lips again.

He must have caught me staring because he asked, "What?" He let out a small chuckle.  I immediately blushed and turned my head so that he couldn't see.

After I composed myself, I took in a deep breath and just looked into his light-green eyes. "Nothing."

"It sure doesn't look like nothing," he retorted, his deep voice made my heart beat faster, which is bad because I know he could hear it. His eyebrows furrowed as he continued to observe me. I felt like my heart was going to explode.

He definitely can hear it.

This didn't help because now my breaths were getting faster and more shallow. I shut my eyes briefly and opened them to feel the intensity of his gaze still on me. I couldn't take it any longer. I gave into my urge.

"Screw it." I grabbed the back of his neck and pressed my lips against his. He stiffened for a second, but then began to move his lips in sync with mine. His hand found it's way to the side of my head, where his thumb caressed my cheek, and his fingers entwined in my hair.

I never understood when people say they feel fireworks when they kiss someone, but now I do. It's like a whirlpool of emotions exploded inside of me, making me kiss him harder. I could feel Rhett smile as he reciprocated my action.

I wasn't sure how long we kissed for, but when we broke apart and he rested his forehead against mine, we both were panting. His eyes opened and locked on mine, causing goosebumps to raise along my arms. In that moment, I knew that I want to kiss this misunderstood werewolf for the rest of my life. I never intended to fall for Rhett since my sight was always on Wesley, but I've never felt the way I do with him as I do with Rhett. It's magnetic.

A small smirk grew on his face as he continued to play with my messy hair. "You make it so hard not to fall for you, Rae Haywood."