Chapter 27

"So, you're a star guy, huh? Funny because I took you more of a moon guy," I commented back with a smirk on my face.

Humor glimmered in his green eyes as he glanced at me. A smile stretched across his face while he chuckled, "I'm full of surprises."

I turn to hide my blush and focus my attention back to the lights around us. Reaching up towards them, I reply, "I can tell." He doesn't answer back, but I can still feel his presence behind me as goosebumps spread across my skin, making me involuntarily shudder. Even though I can't see him, I know he is watching me, making the tension rise in the air around the two of us. I want to turn around and look into his green pools, but I can't bring myself to meet their intensity.

Instead, I close my eyes and let out a breath. I feel the shift in the temperature behind me, indicating that he has moved closer, which makes me feel the prickling sensation on my arms again.

"You are too—full of surprises." I felt his hand on my shoulder as he gently spun me to face him. His eyes looked like they were searching for something in mine.

A small laugh vibrated through my chest. "How so?" I cocked my head coyly.

Rhett rose one eyebrow at my question. His proximity to me was making my heart race, and I began to feel anxious. I'm not sure if I like it or not. "The way you look at the world with innocence and wonder. Your brave. I didn't take you for a girl to wander around the woods alone during nightfall, let alone confront a wolf, or be okay with the things you have discovered in the past month."

I look at him for a moment before shrugging. I pointed out, "I wouldn't have had to if you just told me what was goin' on when I confronted you in last period, or if you didn't show up to the football game and to the diner." A grin then spread across my face as I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear.

A quizzical look took over his features. It was true. If it wasn't for his mysterious act, then I wouldn't have even mucked up the courage to go to their house. I wouldn't have even encountered that Vargulf.

"What did me showin' up at a popular town event or a place where everyone eats have to do with it?" He asked with an intrigued look in his eyes.

My cheeks grew hot as I grew embarrassed about the subject. At the time, I seriously thought he was doing a drug deal at school and saw that I caught them. Looking back, I was super naive. I explained, "I saw you and Parker in the school parkin' lot after school the day you showed up at the game and Sugar's. I thought that maybe you were doin' a drug deal by the way Parker handed you somethin' that you hid in your jacket."

He looked away at the trees as if he was thinking.

"Oh!" Realization hit him, and he let out a laugh. "You thought....? Gosh, maybe that's why everyone in this town thinks I'm into drugs. No, Parker found the scent of the Vargulf on a piece of paper and gave it to me so we could use it to track whoever it is. What does that have to do with the game?"

I feel really bad about being scared of him and thinking that he was after me because of what I saw. Now that I know him, I feel comfortable around him. Instinct told me that he wouldn't harm me. "I—uh... this is gonna sound stupid, but I thought that you showed up to those places because I caught you doin' what I thought was a drug deal, and you were after me or something..." A strange expression appeared on his face. "I—I can't even believe I even thought that. Looking back at it now, I was bein' dumb."

I thought that he would be offended or mad, but he just smiled. A loud laugh erupted from his chest. "I guess my reputation in town precedes me. I scared you?"

I covered my face and tried to turn around to hide my shame. I felt like everyone else in town with how they are so judgmental. I felt his hands pry mine from my face so I could look at him. He lifted my chin when I wouldn't meet his gaze. "Hey, you're not dumb. We let the notion that we are bad people cycle through town so that it hides who we are. It's no reason to feel ashamed, Rae.  You and everyone else were purposely kept in the unknown. Don't feel bad about it."

My shoulders relaxed, releasing all the tension I was carrying. I sighed at his comforting words and nodded.

"What about now?" He spoke again.

"What?" I asked, confused as I sat down at one of the tables. The lights entwined in the flower centerpiece casted shadows on the cream table cloth.

"Are you scared of me?"

I didn't have to think about it.

"No." I shook my head slightly and turned my attention on the moth hovering around the centerpiece. I wasn't afraid of him at all. If anything, I was weirdly drawn to him like a bug to a light. There's something about him that makes me curious, wanting to get to know him more.

His face was stone. "Why not?"

"I don't know," I tried to recall and quirked my lips to the side. "Maybe the way you looked at me at Sugar's I guess, or maybe when you followed me home as a wolf. Maybe somethin' in me knew what you were."

An audible breath left his lips as he sat down. He stared at me for a few seconds before speaking. "And you're not scared that I'm a werewolf?" He asked in a wearily tone.

Again I didn't need to think about it. "Not at all. I know you wouldn't hurt me or anyone else. I can see it in your eyes, Rhett. You may be misunderstood in this town, but I don't think your dangerous."

Rhett looked away and stared at the tree line. I waited for him to say something, but he sat there, silent. Not being able to stand the silence anymore, I questioned, "Why were you at the game and Sugar's that night?"

He didn't look at me, but replied, "That piece of paper that Parker gave me was able to help me track the scent. It led me to the game and to the diner. It was still there when I left and followed you, but I haven't been able to find it since."

My eyebrows furrowed together. If that person was at the game, then that's one thing. Everyone goes to those, but not everyone goes to Sugar's after. Only Darling High students and the staff at the diner. "That means that the Vargulf goes to our school." I began to put together the pieces.

"And whoever that is became what they are two years ago. That's when it all started," Rhett explained, finally looking at me again.

I tried to think about who it could be, but nothing popped into mind. I have no idea what was different two years ago in this town with someone. I was told that those wolves go through a trauma that makes them turn into a Vargulf, but I can't remember anything happening a couple years ago that would cause that. I feel like something did happen during that time, but I can't put my finger on it.

What was it?

Before I could press myself further, my dad called out, "Steaks are ready!"

I stood up to meet with everyone else, who was grabbing a plate around the barbecue, but didn't move my foot enough when I went to walk. My foot caught the chair leg, causing me to trip. Before I hit the ground, arms encased me. Rhett helped me stand and steadied me. The first thing I noticed was our proximity; I was only inches away from him. The second thing was his scent; it was like a mixture of nutmeg and vanilla. The smell temporarily distracted me from the fact that we were so close and that he was staring down at me. My eyes fluttered up to meet his, which gave me a tingling sensation in my stomach. His green eyes looked brighter, possibly from the lights that surrounded us, or from his wolf side. Whatever the cause was, I didn't care. They were captivating, and I found myself leaning closer to him.

He didn't move and continued to watch me with no expression shown on his face. I couldn't stop myself. It was like my body was on autopilot, and I've lost all control. Rhett's face moved closer to mine; his muscular frame leaned closer to me. I would have never thought that I would kiss Rhett Dixon, and I wasn't. I waited for his lips to press softly against mine, but they never came. Instead, he whispered in my ear, "If only I wasn't dark like the moon." He then moved away from me, and I was embraced by the cold. My heart dropped.

What does he mean?

The moon is bright, not dark. What he said made no sense. His words filled me with confusion and disappointment while my lips ached for his. The scent of nutmeg and vanilla lingered in the air around me, reminding me of what almost happened, and the confusion began to turn into hurt. I didn't even know that I had feelings for him before he was inches from my body, and now all I can think about is why he wouldn't kiss me. I looked up at the crescent shape in the sky, looking for an answer.