Chapter 15

There's no easy way to tell someone that their father is having an affair, especially someone close to you. I couldn't bring myself to tell Wesley about it on Saturday because it wouldn't only ruin his night, but it wouldn't be right with all of those people around. I decided that it would be better to tell him after church on Sunday. Even though I know it is the right thing to do, I can't help but have an awful feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I rubbed the polyester material of my dress between my fingers as I tried to pay attention to Reverend Mathews. He was saying something about forgiveness and inner peace. I just couldn't grasp onto his words because images of Mr. Bedford and Mrs. Lawson took over my mind. It was bad enough that I have to Wesley, but now I can't get what I saw out of my head.

I didn't even notice that the sermon was over until I saw people walking freely around the church. As I stood up, I searched for my secret crush, but all I found was blue eyes filled with contempt. Mrs. Lawson was staring me down while her husband was talking with Reverend Mathews.

I force myself to leave her presence in search of Wes.

When I wander outside, I finally catch sight of him, and that's when the horrible dread kicks in. I don't want to be the one who broke his heart because I don't want to be the face he sees when he thinks about his parents broken marriage. Even though I don't want to, my legs carry me over to where he is standing alone.

When he notices my presence, he beams at me, and all I can think about is how that beautiful, perfect smile is about the fade away.

"Hey, Rae," he greets me with one dimple showing.

"Hey, Wes.." I manage to give him a fake smile back.

"So, how is everythin' with Sawyer?" He asked.

I knew that Wesley genuinely cared about the answer to that question. So many people have asked it, but it was out of being polite.

"It's the same..unfortunately..."

I winced at the thought of my brother still acting out of character with the town's bad boy.

Wesley gently grabbed my hand and looked into my eyes, "I'm really sorry to hear about that. I hope he comes around soon."

I hope so too...

Another ping of guilt erupts in my chest. He is such a great guy.

Why couldn't I have just gone to the creek yesterday?

"Thanks, Wes.." I replied and gave him a soft smile. "Umm.. there's actually somethin' that I wanted to talk to you about. It's kind of important."

"Yeah?  What is it?"

Here we go...

"Yesterday I saw—"

"Cordelia-Rae," Mr. Bedford greeted me, and I immediately cringed at the sound of my full name.

No one calls me that and for good reason.

"Mr. Bedford.." I nodded uncomfortably.

He gave me a knowing smile. It was all an act.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but we actually have to be somewhere soon," John explained, and I knew that he was just trying to get his son away from me.

Wesley chimed in, "Can I meet you at the car?  Rae needed to talk to me about somethin'."

John Bedford's eyes shifted from Wesley's to mine and gave me a look of disapproval. I started to get uneasy under his gaze. He wasn't going to let me tell him.