Chapter 14

A week has passed, and I am no closer to figuring out what happened to my brother or how it's connected to Rhett. Just in one week, my brother has gotten worse. His temper has is like nothing I have seen before, and he is never home. I've never seen him shut us out like this before. He is even disrespectful to my mom and Gigi. He seems to be pushing them away the most. Every time I try to make conversation, he gives me the cold shoulder and takes off.

The most shocking thing he has done so far is quit the football team. It was a bombshell to us all, especially my mom and his friends. Wesley and Austin didn't take it very well. I think that it hit Wesley the hardest because he's avoiding everyone, including me, which makes me feel horrible. He lost his best friend and teammate.

Sawyer has always had his eyes set on getting a football scholarship to the University of Alabama. This season was going to make it happen for him, but now it's ruined. Wesley's dad set up scouts to come at the upcoming games because of Sawyer's success, but my brother quit. Coach Bedford is beyond angry at my brother. He may have cost the team the season, but he doesn't seem to care. It's like he is gone.

Gossip is flowing through this town about the "scandal". Some people have been giving my family a hard time about Sawyer's association with the Dixons. They are starting to shut me and my family out like we are tainted by my brother's new-founded reputation.

He is now seen how people see Rhett Dixon—some type of criminal outcast.

I'll never understand how people are so quick to judge and treat people poorly in this town. They are acting like we all aren't human beings.

Blake is the worst out of everyone though. She's taking the opportunity to belittle me every chance she gets. I've tried to ignore her, but it's starting to get to me. I fear that I might lose it soon.

Today is Saturday, which means creek day, but I don't have plans to go there like everyone else. The only people that know that I'm not going are Savannah and Molly. I want my brother to think I'll be there, but truth is that I am going to follow him to Rhett's house. A day hasn't gone by when he hasn't gone there.

As I tie my wavy hair into a ponytail, I let out a huge breathe of air and turn to the side to observe the outfit I put on. After contemplating if I should change, I decide that I'm fine in a loose tank top and shorts.

When I make my way to the kitchen, I see my mom and Gigi already eating breakfast. Thankfully, they set a plate on the counter for me.

"Thanks," I shoot my mom and my grandma a grateful look.

I sat down across from my mom and realized that she was actually home on a Saturday morning.

"Wait, you're never home around this time," I said almost like a question.

She visibly sighs, showing that she is stressed out, "They cut my hours at the grocery store."

"What?!" I asked, shocked.

My mom is the best employee that they have.

"Did they say why?" I questioned her in a surprised tone.

She shook her head, "They just said financial problems with the company so they are cuttin' hours."

"Mom, that's not right."

Blake's family was loaded. There's no way that they had financial problems.

"Rae, I know it isn't right, but it's reality and what I have to deal with. If you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go take a shower before my shift begins," she says in a somber voice.

She got up from the table and left me and Gigi alone. Gigi looked just as stressed, maybe even more than my mom.  Her reddish curls were sticking out all over her head, and she had bags underneath her eyes.