Chapter 26

It's funny what you learn when you really tune into your surroundings. The past few days I have been trying to figure out who could be the werewolf that lost it's humanity. Unfortunately for me, I've got nothing besides learning that Mr. Henson, who runs the pharmacy in the grocery store, is selling prescription drugs to some students at my school. And they say that Rhett is a drug dealer. Whoever the Vargulf is, is good at hiding him or herself. Rhett explained that they don't even know what they are when they lose their humanity. He thinks it's someone younger that maybe had the werewolf gene and went through some trauma that triggered it. If that's the case, then this will be a lot more difficult than we thought.

I look around the school parking lot at the students, hoping to catch something. The only thing I notice is Wesley rushing passed me whileBlake yells at him.

"What do you mean 'break up', Wesley Bedford?!" Blake screeched. The students in the parking lot froze and watched the scene unfolding in front of them.

Wesley stopped walking and turned around to face Blake. He looked tired as he rubbed his hand on his forehead in frustration. "It's what I said. I need a break. I just can't do this right now with everythin' that has happened."

Blake's face looked like it was changing color as anger contorted her perfect features. "How dare you?! The debutante is in a few months! You were escortin' me!"

Disbelief crossed Wesley's face. He was finally seeing the real Blake—the part of her that she would try to keep hidden from him. I have dreamed of this moment for a long time now, but I don't feel satisfied. Actually, I feel bad for Wesley. You can see hurt clear on his face, and he doesn't try to hide it.

"That's all you care about?" Wesley asked in a half-whisper. "The debutante? I just found out that my dad has been cheatin' on my mom with yours! Do you even care about how I feel?"

Blake looked stunned. She was at a loss for words and just stood there, staring at him. Nothing she could say at this point could fix what she said. She couldn't manipulate him like everyone else. Instead of replying to him, she turned around to go back inside of the school, to avoid what he said. There were no tears or sadness in her eyes, only anger and humiliation. When she saw me, her eyes widened and stomped over to me.

"You! This is all your fault! You get dropped from the competition, so you make me lose my boyfriend?!" Blake was almost in front of me when Wesley got between us.

"That's enough, Blake. Leave Rae alone. You are the reason you lost me. Not her," Wesley kept his blue eyes trained on her. She pursed her lips and glared at me before leaving the parking lot. I let out the breath I was holding. I didn't expect Wesley to do that for me after how I hurt him.

"Wes, thank you, and I'm so sorry for what happened."

He held his hand up. "What you did was not cool, but my mom told me that you came by and explained everythin' to her. She told me that you were gonna tell me until you and Blake confronted each other. I also know about what her mom did to you and your mom, so I'm sorry, Rae."

My eyebrows furrowed at his apology. I should be the one saying sorry, but here he is when he has nothing to apologize for. He truly is the perfect guy. "Don't apologize. What happened to you and your mom is horrible, and you just broke up with your girlfriend that you've been with for years. You have nothin' to be sorry for. You don't deserve any of this, Wes."

He gave me one of his side smiles, but it doesn't reach his eyes like it usually does. "Thanks.. I've been wantin' to break up with her for awhile actually... We are too different, and she is pretty controllin'."

He let out a big sigh and ruffled a hand through his blonde hair. I couldn't believe my ears. I thought that their relationship was perfect, and I would never have a chance, but maybe I might now.