Chapter 3

Laughter and chatter filled our ears as we approached the lit up football field. The cheerleaders were already putting on a show for the crowd as loud, country music echoed throughout the field. My friends, Gigi, my mom, and I walked from my house to the game together like we do every Friday night during football season. The first thing my mom and Gigi do is head for the food stand, so we try to find a seat in the crowded bleachers while they buy us snacks.

Our school doesn't have a fancy football field or bleachers like others do. There's no need in such a small town, but despite our size, the bleachers still get crowded.  Everyone in town is here, besides the Dixons and the people they hang out with, of course.

A sea of black, silver, and blue covered the bleachers, making it difficult to find enough room to seat all of us.  We finally find seats in the second row, but unfortunately, it's right in front of the cheerleaders where I'm forced to look at Blake.  We sit down just as they begin another chant.

"It's time to get rough and mean..."

"And beat the other team!"

Two male cheerleaders lifted Blake up into the air, where she did a pose.

"We say it proud!  We say it loud for all to hear!"

"So everyone knows when the wolves are near!"

The boys then threw her up into the air, and she did a backflip before landing in their arms.  They pushed her to her feet, where she then howled at the crowd.

The crowd around me started to howl in unison back.  I'm usually all for school spirit, but it's hard to participate when you have evil, blue eyes staring you down.  The entire chant consisted of Blake glaring at me.  I know it was because of today in class.  If there were any other seats available, I would've moved in a heartbeat.

My mom and grandma found their way to us and gave us all some snacks.  One of the cheerleaders did a back tuck, so Gigi screamed on the top of her lungs and waved her hands in the air.  My mom's eyes instantly shifted to her with a look that said, "really?"

"What? I'm just showing my support for our wolves."  Gigi raised her eyebrows and popped a piece of kettle corn into her mouth.

My mom sighed in return and focused her attention back onto the field. Everyone began to cheer as "Hungry Like The Wolf" by Duran Duran started to play like it does every game, prompting our football team to tear through the huge, wolf banner.

In touch with the ground,

I'm on the hunt down after you,

My eyes scanned the running boys for the number three, hoping to catch a glimpse of him.

Scent and a sound,

I'm lost and I'm found,

And I'm hungry like the wolf.

Black uniforms flashed past where we were sitting, and I finally found what I was looking for. Wesley's back was facing us to the right, where the team had their own bench, making the blue and silver three completely visible. I watched as the coach said something to all the guys, and they howled loudly before they dispersed onto the field. The game horn sounded, meaning that it was starting.

The players positioned themselves on the field, and everyone grew silent in anticipation. Wesley got in a crouching position, then nodded at my brother, who gave him one in return. When the whistle blew, the football was passed to Wesley. Sawyer ran diagonal from his original spot towards the goal, and Wesley threw the ball to him as Austin tackled someone from the opposite team when they tried to intercept.

Sawyer jumped in the air and caught the ball, then proceeded to run to the end zone.  Everyone on our side of the bleachers cheered as my brother dodged other players. A guy from the opposite team went to jump to tackle Sawyer, but just as he did, my brother dove towards the end zone, barely making it over the line and made a touchdown.

Chaos erupted as everyone screamed and howled at the victory, while our team pumped their fists in the air. The game just started and we already got a touchdown. I screamed with the crowd and jumped up and down with one of the signs my mom made for my brother.  The cheerleaders began to chant while the song they play when we get a touchdown blasted through the speakers.

"Down the field with super speed."

The cheerleaders clapped and some crouched down, while others positioned themselves to make a pyramid.

"Into the zone, we take the lead."

Blake climbed to the top of the pyramid and waved one hand in the air with her Pom Pom while the other rested firmly on her hip.

"Touchdown! Touchdown!"

Even with the cheerleaders directly in front of us, my attention was still on number three, who was now patting my brother on the back. I mentally slapped myself for staring because I didn't want anyone to notice or find out my secret that my grandma just so happened to know. I haven't even told my best friends in fear that Blake would somehow find out that I'm secretly in love with her boyfriend.

I decided to advert my attention to my brother.  I absently kept an eye on his number, twenty four, while thinking about Wesley. At almost halftime, I decide to grab more snacks for everyone so they could continue to watch the game. I normally am into the games, but lately my mind has been wandering more than usual, and truthfully, I could get a break from the nasty looks Blake has been giving me.

As I head for the food stands, the touchdown song begins to play, indicating that we scored again. In almost two quarters, we've made three touchdowns and the other team has made one. A smile crept up on my face as I thought about how much fun we are going to have at Sugar's tonight when we all celebrate. I knew we would win. We may have a small town, but our football team is almost unbeatable.

A sweet aroma takes ahold of my senses, pulling my attention from the scoreboard to the funnel cake stand. Thankfully, there is no line because everyone is engulfed in the game. I buy three funnel cakes topped with chocolate and strawberries for all of us to share. Just as I am about to head back to my seat, two guys catch my eye when they come through the parking lot entrance.

My heart almost stops when I realize that it's Rhett Dixon and Parker.

I couldn't help but stop and stare at the anomaly in front of me. The Dixons never come to any of the games. It doesn't take long for them to notice me since I'm the only one in the area. His light-blue Henley was slightly unbuttoned, and his light-brown hair almost looked blonde underneath the lights from the football field. Rhett's green eyes locked with mine, making an uneasy feeling spread in the pit of my stomach. My eyes widened at the intensity of his gaze, and I forced myself to quickly walk back to my seat, where I would tell Savannah and Molly about what just happened.

Paranoia took over my mind the entire way back. Those people never attend any social events, and it made me wonder if it's because of what I saw today in the parking lot. It couldn't be because of me though. There are so many rumors going around about them and drugs, so why would me seeing it in person be significant? I kept telling myself that it was a coincidence, but my thoughts were racing, and I couldn't stop them. I tried to not drop the funnel cakes as I walked faster. As soon as I got to my seat, I quickly handed the funnel cakes to everyone and pulled Savannah and Molly in close to me.

"What's going on?" Savannah's brows furrowed.

I whispered, "Rhett Dixon is here."

"What?!" Molly said a little too loud. "What is he doing here?"

I bit my lip. I just couldn't bring myself to tell them about what I saw today and the coincidence of him showing up. I didn't want them to start asking questions that I didn't have the answer to. I didn't really know what I saw, and I didn't want to risk me getting him in trouble because that could backfire on me. Uncertainty clouded my mind. I would just have to keep that little secret to myself.