Chapter 35

As soon as we got to the Dixon's house, my dad was waiting outside, ready to greet me. I barely stepped out of the truck before his arms enveloped me into a big hug. To be honest, it made me feel like a little kid again, like when I would hug him every day when he got home from work.

I sighed contently. "Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas." He hugged me tighter before letting me go. "Are you hungry?"

"I've never heard of Rae turn in' down a meal, Mr. Haywood," Wesley chimed in as he shut his door.

My dad chuckled at Wesley's comment and nodded. "You're right."

My brows shot up. "No, he is not," I argued.

Wesley gave me a stern look. "Don't start this again, Rae. We already had this discussion on the way over here," he scolded me like my dad.

I huffed at his comment, but relented at fighting back. It must be the Christmas spirit. My dad and Wesley laugh at my annoyance as my dad leads us to the house, where we are met with an interesting sight—my brother and Rhett were fighting with each other while Sawyer was holding up a humongous Christmas tree with one hand.

When they noticed our presence, the bickering stopped and smiles bigger than the tree grew on their faces.

"Uh..." I sputtered, not knowing what to say to this sight.

"Hey, Rae!" Sawyer greeted while still holding the tree in the air. "We got a Christmas tree to decorate."

"You mean I got the Christmas tree," Rhett claimed with an annoyed expression. "You ran around like a puppy and tried to catch snowflakes."

My eyes widened and I tried to suppress a snort from the image in my head. My brother catching snowflakes as a dog. Wesley must of thought that it was equally as funny because his hand was covering his mouth, and his face was turning an interesting shade of pink.

"I was guardin' the area! Rhett, you kn—" Sawyer argued. "Dammit, Rhett!"

The next thing I knew, the tree was thrown to the floor and Sawyer tackled an amused Rhett. They wrestled on the ground for about ten seconds before Jason walked in and put a stop to it. With one whistle, they immediately got off of the ground and off of each other.

Everyone was still laughing as my brother continued to glare at the green-eyed werewolf.

"That's the Christmas spirit, guys," Jason declared as he patted the boys on their backs. He then turned to me. "Sorry, Rae. Things can get crazy in this house. It's like animals live here."

Another giggle escaped my lips. "It's okay. I didn't realize that I'd get a show with dinner tonight."

With that comment, Rhett smirked and locked eyes with me. I let out a breath of air. I will never get used to him looking at me with his exotic-looking eyes. I tried not to blush in front of everyone.

"Well, the tree was supposed to be decorated before you got here, but seein' as that task fell short...do you want to help decorate it?" Jason asked me with a warm smile.

I glanced at my dad, thinking about how every Christmas season my whole family would decorate the tree together and sing Christmas carols. I haven't had a Christmas with him in what felt like forever. I'm happy that I finally get to again. I never thought that I would, but miracles happen every day.

"I'd love to." I headed over to the now upright tree. Sawyer handed me a box of decorations. "Dad, do you want to help?"

"Of course, kiddo. I don't want to miss another Christmas with ya'll ever again," he replied before kissing me on my head and patting my brother on the back. "I'm happy ya'll are here tonight."