21

3 years ago...

The air was warm this particular morning, but a salty breeze rushed inland off of the crashing waves, chilling the five teenagers to their bones.

It was an early March morning, the sun was just now rising, as it was only about 6:00 A.M. It was still pretty dark out, but a golden orange glow was beginning to illuminate the horizon as the sun started to peak overtop. The only sounds that could be heard was the hypnotizing lull of waves drenching the sand, and the wind blowing through the dunes. The beach was empty, not a single soul around, unless you counted the little fidler crabs and seagulls.

It was perfect.

The perfect escape.

It was Eren's favorite place. He had insisted that his friends come to the beach with him this morning. It took a little convincing to get Connie, Sasha, and Mikasa to come, but Jean had agreed almost immediately. That was no suprise though, the two boys were practically attatched at the hip. They rarely did anything without eachother.

Eren and Jean had told Sasha and Mikasa that they should come so that they could watch the sunrise. Girls were suckers for that shit, right?

Eren also knew that Connie had a thing for Sasha, and what kind of friend was he if he didn't help the two of them out? Not to mention that Eren also looked for any excuse to be near Mikasa...

In reality thought, Eren and Jean wanted to go surfing, and since there was supposed to be a tropical depression later that evening, the waves were already massive. It was also the perfect oppourtunity to let Connie practice surfing some more, since the two boys had been giving him lessons over the winter.

"Connie, I'm telling you man, you've gotta loosen up. You're too tense when you're on the board. You look like a tree", Jean admitted while he rubbed wax on his board, his hair falling into his eyes as the result of going months without a haircut.

Eren walked up behind Connie, and rubbed his shoulders harshly, the way a coach would to a boxer before a big match. "Yeaaa, come on man. Loosen up. You need me to get some lube or something?", Eren joked with a playful grin plastered on his face.

Connie scoffed, and just pushed the taller boy's hands off of his shoulders, obviously not enjoying being teased.

Eren ran a hand through his short brown locs, which also managed to fall into his eyes, before he turned to look over his shoulder at Sasha and Mikasa who were placing towels on the ground further up the beach. "Or should I go get Sasha? I bet she could help you loosen up", the brunette teased as he poked at Connie's ribs.

Jean was watching his bestfriends through his eyelashes as he continued to work at his board, a smile playing on his lips. Everyone knew that Sasha and Connie liked eachother. Well, everyone except for Sasha and Connie.

Connie, although he was the shortest out of the three boys, was a lot stronger than he looked. In one swift motion he managed to knock Eren's feet from under him, and the boy hit the sand with a thud.

"Oh, you wanna play that game, Jeager? Maybe I should go over there and tell Mikasa the real reason you invited her. Cut the sunrise crap, I think we all know you wanted to see her in a bikini", Connie grinned down at Eren, who refused to let his confident demeanor wavor, despite the dark blush crawling up his neck to his cheeks.

"Mmhmm lets see how cocky you are once you get on the waves, baldie", Eren said as he smacked the back of Connie's knees, also sending him tumbling down into the sand.