37

7 years ago...

The school library was never very busy.

In fact, when Jean's teacher had sent him there today, the place seemed deserted.

Jean didn't like books. Reading was no fun. Staring at paper for hours on end was boring. So what if the paper had words on it? He was just supposed to sit there and hallucinate a story in his head while he stared at what was essentially a dead tree with a pretty picture on the front? Yeah, no thanks.

But still, his teacher had chosen him to go to the library to drop some books off.

Yeesh, the few people who were in here were far too quiet. Jean thought they needed to loosen up. Maybe go outside and throw a ball around or something.

Jean made his way over to librarian's desk, and dropped the stack of books he was carrying on the counter.

After a brief exchange, the librarian asked Jean to put one of the books away.

Jean groaned at this, but nevertheless went to do as he was asked.

Why couldn't she just do it? That was the stupid librarian's job anyways.

Jean dragged his feet through the library, passing rows upon rows of books. The air was musty here. Smelled like paper and wood. Light leaking in through the many windows on the far wall edified the dust particles flowing through the air. Gross.

Jean rounded a corner and ran straight into a bookshelf.

No, that wasn't quite right.

He ran straight into a girl.

Both Jean and the girl toppled to the floor, the stack of books she had been carrying scattered around the two of them now.

Jean rubbed his forehead where he'd collided with the girl. He was used to being clumsy. His mom told him this phase would pass when he got taller.

The girl was rubbing her forehead, too. Fortunately she didn't look too hurt.

"Sorry about that", Jean muttered as he got on his knees and started to collect the girl's books. Eww, a book nerd. "I should've been watching where I was going."

"It's alright," the girl admitted as she started picking up books, too. She noticed one that she hadn't picked out, and picked the book up.

Jean handed the girl her own stack of books, to which she accepted with a nod of thanks.

It was hard to see in the library, especially kneeling on the floor where there was no light. But when the girl stood up, a beam of light kissed her face. It was the first time Jean had actually looked at her during the whole exchange.

"Oh..hi," he said.

The girl's lips quirked upwards in a small smile. Her grey eyes were enticing in the sunlight. "Hi?", she responded.

"You've uh... you've got nice hair," Jean cleared his throat. He wasn't really sure what to say. It wasn't everyday he got into awkward situations with pretty girls.

The girl let out the smallest laugh. "Thank you," she said. "Here, this ones yours." She handed him the book he had dropped in their collision.

Jean took the book from her.

"Um, I'm Jean," he said.

"Do you always knock into people and scatter their things, Jean?", she laughed.