35

Jean's lip was cut.

You couldn't stop looking over at it every time he talked. When you had asked him about it, he dodged the question.

His hand in yours was battered, too. Bruises and scabs littered his knuckles, but after he grew quiet at the mention of his busted lip, you decided to stop asking.

The two of you had been doing this more often. Walking together. Sometimes hand in hand.

It was nice. It felt safe and warm. Although you had only confessed to the boy about a week ago, he still kissed you as if he was trying to win your heart. Like he couldn't believe you were here, holding his hand.

You couldn't help but wonder if this made the two of you a couple. You'd told the boy you wanted to take things slow, but here you were, letting him walk you to your classes, holding his hand, kissing him goodnight.

Was it possible for the two of you to just be two people who had put their feelings out in the open? Or could that even exist without some sort of title?
The thought made your brain hurt.

Better to just not think.

The truth was, Jean enjoyed walking you to your classes. It gave him a stupid excuse to be near you and talk your ear off without Sasha or Connie hanging around.

"Has Historia started stressing about finals yet?", Jean asked as the two of you rounded a corner.

"Completely," you laughed. "They're still a month and a half away and she just pulled an all nighter. I felt bad so I even went out and bought her a coffee."

Jean smiled. "She's always been like that. She's the smartest out of all of us, well except for Armin, but she still thinks she's gonna fail."

"I'm just worried she won't sleep until finals. I might have to knock her out," you said.

"10 dollars you won't", Jean dared.

But just as he spoke, the two of you were passing the art building, and the door swung open, almost nailing Jean in the face. Almost.

Jean managed to dodge just in time, yanking you with him and he moved out of the door's way.

And then Eren sauntered out, without a care in the world.

As soon as you saw him your eyes immediately took note of the dark bruise on his cheekbone. It wreathed the side of his face, and he had a bandage, too. The kind they use after you get stitches.

From the look on his face, it was obvious he had tried to hit Jean with the door on purpose.

"Watch yourself, horse face," he spat as he turned to walk past the two of you.

Jean said nothing, neither did you, but rather glared at the brunette as he walked past.

But then Eren's smug eyes fell from Jean's face, and landed on your intertwined hands. He faltered for a second, as if just now acknowledging your presence, then returned his attention to Jean.

"Guess that busted lip taught you nothing."

Jean's grip on your hand tightened.

What the hell was he talking about? Jean's busted lip?

You were still angry with him. Seeing Eren now, the words he spoke to you at the tattoo parlor swam through your mind once more. And now, he wouldn't even look at you. He only taunted Jean. It was as if you weren't even there as the two boys glared at each other, and all you could think about was how Eren wouldn't even give you the time of day after lying to your face.