25

Disclaimer: This chapter contains content relating to suicide/ suicide attempt. Reader's discretion is advised.

A/N: In no way shape or form am I trying to say that this is the correct way to respond to someone feeling suicidal.

If you or a loved one is having suicidal thoughts, please call the Suicide Hotline.
800-273-8255
—————————————

6 years ago...

The bridge had always been special. Jean had found it one night on his way home from tutoring 2 years ago.

Fucking tutoring.

Jean hated that his mother had made him get a tutor. That lady was always pestering him, spouting bullshit about how "fractions are his friend".

Nevertheless, if it wasn't for tutoring, he would have never found that bridge. It was abandoned, and completely overgrown with vines and other shrubbery. The railings had long ago fallen off, which allowed for Jean to sit on the edge and look over at the river running below.

The bridge itself was hidden in the woods, Jean having found it when he took a shortcut home.

The sight of the last rays of sunlight reflecting off of the water, and the feeling of the the wind brushing through his hair made him feel alive. He dangled his feet off of the edge, and basked in the isolation, the peacefulness, of the bridge.

After that day, little 11 year old Jean told no one of his special place. No one except Eren. The young boy couldn't help but tell his best friend of the magical place where you could dance with death atop the 50ft bridge. Where you could feel the wind whisper in your ear, and tell you secrets as it passed.

The bridge became a special place shared by the two.

It was a place filled with memories of laughter, secrets, peacefulness, and even a few illegal activities.

So it was quite the surprise when two years after the discovery of the bridge, Jean found Eren at its edge. Only this time, his feet were skimming along the brink.

It was dark out, the sun having just set, leaving only a few rays of sunlight illuminating the night sky.

The brunette was pacing, walking back and forth across the edge of the bridge. Never once did he take his eyes off of the dark water, churning in the river below.

"Eren?", Jean called out as he approached his friend. He had never seen the boy like this before.

Eren didn't respond. Whether it was because he didn't hear Jean, or because he was ignoring him was unclear.

"Eren"

Still, no response.

The sound of Eren's pacing got louder as Jean got closer.

"Eren", he called out again, "What's going on? Aren't you supposed to be at practice right now?"

Eren's foot slipped off the side of the bridge, but he caught it, and kept pacing. He kept his hands in his pockets, not even attempting to hold them out to balance himself as he walked along the edge.

"Eren! Talk to me!", Jean cried out, frustrated with the boy's silence.

Eren was eerily calm, still only staring down at the water.

Jean finally got closer to his friend, and the first thing he noticed was the absence of Eren's breath. He couldn't hear, nor see, the the steady rise and fall of his chest. It was as if the boy was holding his breath, trying to stop any and all emotion from being released.