33

Mikasa placed her coffee down atop her book. The steam curling off of the dark liquid mingled with the cool, crisp air of the morning.

Your own coffee rested between your hands, skin searching for any warmth it could in the beverage as you listened to Mikasa talk.

Historia had just left the two of you after a morning spent at the book store. The blonde had suggested the idea, claiming that she needed new reading material and wanted some company. You and Mikasa had jumped at the idea, especially when the raven haired girl had suggested coffee.

Afterwards, the three of you had found a nice spot on the quad and settled down to talk about whatever came to mind. It was only when 11:00 A.M rolled around, that Historia had to leave to go to class.

"Don't you think it's funny that Historia got a book about the mafia?", Mikasa laughed.

"Yeah, but it doesn't surprise me. It's probably an enemies to lovers type deal", you replied.

Mikasa cocked her head at you. "You think Mafia bosses are her type?"

"You don't?", you scoffed, unable to hide your smile. "Slap a couple of tattoos on Ymir, give her a gun, and bam, there you go."

"Point taken", she laughed picking up her cup to take a sip of coffee. "Speaking of couples, I heard you and Jean are finally getting together."

You paused mid smile, and looked over at the raven haired girl. Hearing her bring up Jean so casually made you nervous, especially when you knew something big had gone down between them only a couple of years ago.

Her face showed no deceit, however. The faintest hint of sadness maybe, but her eyes held no ill intent.

You cleared you throat. "I wouldn't say we're together just yet. It's not official or anything."

Mikasa's eyes wandered to her coffee, and then back to your face.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to assume-"

"No! It's alright! No need to apologize, really. I just don't want anyone to get the wrong— I just don't wanna rush things."

The girl's lips turned upward ever so slightly at your frantic blabbering.

"It's okay y/n, I understand", she smiled.

You returned her smile, and took a sip of your own drink.

Telling Historia and Sasha about what happened with Jean at the park had been hectic enough. Sasha had been practically bouncing off of the walls with joy for her two friends. Assuming she was the one who had told Mikasa, there was no doubt she may have stretched the truth a little.

Something about the way she had looked when she brought up Jean nagged at you though.

"Hey Mikasa", you said, calling the girl's attention. Taking a deep breath, you prepared yourself to ask your next question. Or maybe you prepared yourself to hear the answer. "What happened? Between you, Jean, and Eren? No one will tell me." Your voice came out soft, almost hidden by the breeze.

Mikasa's eyes widened for a second before she cast her gaze upon her fingernails.

"They haven't told you?"