[24]

Jean's hand on your lower back was distracting.

The cool metal of his rings brushing against your bare skin was a sharp contrast compared to the heat of your body.

You were positive he was doing it on purpose, too. Keeping his hand there as he led you through the streets of downtown, using it as an anchor to pull you this way and that as he weaved around the occasional person.

Or maybe he just wanted to touch you.

He'd always been flirty like that.

Swinging an arm around your shoulder, brushing hands as you walked side by side, even playing footsies under the table in the library with you as a joke.

But this felt different.

Even tonight at dinner, when he had kept a firm grip on your thigh, or ran his fingers almost all the way up to your hip, his attitude had taken on a new tone.

It almost felt possessive.

Even now, as he led you to god knows where, you couldn't help but notice how much you looked like an actual couple, walking side by side with the tall boy, those long fingers still occasionally running up and down your spine.

Damn Annie and this backless dress.

"What are you grinning about?", Jean asked, that goofy grin of his adorning his lips.

"Nothing you need to worry your pretty little head about", you teased.

There it was again. That small blush that tinted his cheeks whenever you complimented him. He tried to hide it. But it never escaped you.

"Mhm, keep your secrets. I'll find out one way or another."

"Oh yea? How you planing on that?"

"Oh I have lots of ideas. Most of them end with you-"

Jean paused mid sentence in order to yank you out of the way of an opening door that you were passing as a couple people poured out. The boy gave the group of people a nasty glare, before the two of you continued on your way.

Looking up at him, Jean still looked pretty pissed. What was up with that lately? Nothing had even happened. After all, you were the one not looking where you were going.

"Hey, are you okay?", you asked.

"Huh? What, yea I'm fine", he answered, shaking off his glare that he had been wearing for most of the night. And now that you were thinking about it, for the last couple weeks, actually.

Had he always been this irritable?

"Alright.. so where are going? It's somewhere good right?"

"We're gonna go sell your kidney, remember?", he deadpanned. "Or should we do your brain instead, you amnesiac", he teased with a flick to your forehead.

"No, we should definitely do my kidney. My brain is probably worth, like, $2."

"$2? Really? I was thinking more like $1.50", he laughed.

You shut him up by back handing his chest, although it only seemed to make him laugh harder.

"Alright, jeany boy, where are we going after we hit the black market?"

Jean raised his free hand to scratch the back of his neck. He almost looked nervous. As if he was scared you wouldn't like his idea.

It only made you smile, though. You loved it, actually. How he wore a flirty bad boy persona, but in reality he got easily flustered and nervous over the small things.