chpt 37 ~ Coffee cups and cigarettes

Ella lestranges POV [1:21pm]

After the surprise visit from the dark lord last night, asking if I was keeping up on my task, I've been slightly on edge. If he can merge himself into his sixteen year old body, who else can he become? Could he have possibly forced himself into someone else's body to spy on me? I roamed the halls of the manor, desperately trying to find something to occupy my mind. I had a cup of black coffee in my hands, my nail tapping against the sides.

"Ella darling, can I talk to you for a minute?" I heard from behind me. I turned my head to see my mother, having a worried expression on her face. I sighed and walked over to her. "You can't keep ignoring me." She grumbled, stepping closer. "I am not ignoring you, mother." I said, frustration creeping along my expression.

"You clearly are. Look- I.. I know you know about me and your father. And I just want you to know that you and I are going to stick together, and figure this out." She sighed, rubbing her forehead slightly. I didn't say anything, trying to keep myself from yelling something I didn't want her to hear.

"You and I? What makes you think I'm on your side?" I blurted, tilting my head and furrowing my eyebrows together. "From what I remember, you were the one saying that I was a stupid mistake." I snapped, slowly beginning to back away. My mother's breathing hitched, and her lips slowly parted.

"I didn't mean that, sweetheart. I- I was just in the moment." She whispered, trying to come closer to me, reaching her arms around me. I didn't hug her back. In fact, I nearly just stood there, waiting for her to back away. The hug went on longer than I would like, so I hastily backed away from my mother, and stared at her in pure wrath.

"You don't deserve children." I fired, giving the final blow before storming off down the hall. As I was walking, I felt the familiar feeling of my eyes stinging. I quickly shook my head, and pushed that feeling to the back of my mind.

I promised myself I wouldn't cry over stupid things like this anymore.

I opened my bedroom door, carefully shutting it behind me. I sighed and lay my body down on my bed. I carefully pull out my box of cigarettes I hide under my pillow, and light it. I put it up to my lips and let the smoke absorb me. I took a quick sip of my strong coffee, and climbed under the covers. I spent the rest of the night, letting the two substances take over.

[The next morning 6:43am]

"Jesus Draco, don't hog all of the butter." I grumbled, smacking my cousins hand away from the tray full of butter. He sighed and rested back into his seat.

"You two are already starting your fifth year at Hogwarts. I cant believe it! Oh, and I can't forget how my two favorite people are prefects! " Auntie commented, rushing over to me and Draco, and squeezing us tighter than life. I laughed slightly and pushed away from my aunt.

"It's not that deep, auntie. It's just school." I told her, pushing around the eggs on my plate. To be honest, I wasn't too thrilled about being a prefect this year, I haven't put much thought into it. I glanced up at my mum who was sitting two seats away from my father. She was fiddling with her wedding ring and had a pondering look on her face.

"I'm very curious to see what house you'll be in, Payton." I said with a smile. She will no doubt get in either Ravenclaw or Slytherin. "I personally think you will get into Gryffindor." I teased, smirking slightly. Draco smacked my arm.

"Don't even joke about that." He huffed. A smile broke out on my face, as I looked at my friend. She shrugged her shoulders and took a quick sip of her pumpkin juice.

"I'm not really sure what house I'll be in. I sometimes feel like I have personalities of each." She smiled.

"Payton, darling. I think you will succeed no matter what 'house' you are in." Mrs. Blanchett spoke, straightening her posture. Payton's family wasn't too sure on what the houses meant, since Paytons old school didn't have any. "Thanks mum, but I think the whole house thing is a pretty big deal here." She explained to her mother. I tried my best not to let a giggle slip from my mouth, so I held my napkin up to my mouth, pretending I was wiping some food off of my lips.